Off to Alaska

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Kewl.

Hope it pays well. You're gonna have a long, and relatively pricey, round trip ferry ride. It's like either a 13 or a 9 hour trip, depending on the day of the week you depart. No access to the car deck while underway. It's something you'll need to have a paid reservation for.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ferry just south of 800 which i get back when I turn in bills. Trip to the island 9 hours each way. Going for a quick turnaround 3 hours from the time it arrives I hope to be back on or I wait 3 days. The Coast Guard will meet me and take it off as fast as they can. Already mapped out my fuel stops on the way up. I could have loaded next week, but I decided to leave early just incase.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's awesome! I've been trying for 4 yrs, haven't been able to get there yet. Been to Prince George, Edmonton, Nova Scotia .. even took one south of the border .. but Alaska has been elusive.
Please share some photos if you can. Seriously envious!
Enjoy & safe travels :cool:

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First day of my Alaskan adventure is in the books, started heart and turn a little bad. Check engine light came on with loss of power. Checked the hose from the turbo it's fine, also just put it in 2 months ago. Don't know if it's the turbo resonator. Guess I'll stop by autozone and put the tester to the port to see what gives. Life is still good.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They have a crab festival that takes place over Memorial Day weekend that's supposed to be awesome.

I once had a load from Oklahoma City to an oil field in northeast Alaska, the last 200 or 300 miles was dirt road. It was a specialty hose. But when I was at the shipper they were pressure testing the hose and it exploded. So that went dry run. Someone else got the load a few days later.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A friend of mine broke his rear diff. on the Tustumena, the turnbuckles came slack. He had it in gear and the rocking motion took it out.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still have the check engine light on. Lose power going up hills. Guess I'll pull everything apart and reinstall with the hope that will take care of the problem. I just don't think it the turbo, since it's only 1 year old it came with the motor.

Well, I'm in Billings Mt and only have 2800 miles to go and till the 4th of June to get to Homer Ak

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a ScanGauge II ($159.99 and in stock at the Billings Autozone :D) which will read the code and reset the light.

It's probably not the turbo, but just a leak in the system, like the hose or the clamp at the turbo, or the large hose on the top going to the EGR valve will crack. But of course any one of a dozen other things can put it into LHM.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Congratulations, beachbum! In 10 years of expediting, Diane and I hoped for but never got an offer for an Alaska run. You're on a legendary run that will create lifelong memories. Smart move picking up early when you could have picked up later. We're looking forward to hearing all about your adventure.

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle, I have to agree that's it's not the turbo. Because I was leaking at the turbo resonator, so I'm just going to start it over again and hope that works

Thanks for the headsup on the scan gauge

tv121591

Expert Expediter
Spent two weeks in Homer last August. Been to the Kenai several times never on a run just for fun. If your going to fish on your own in Homer go to the Anchor River state rec area and try the slidehole (its well marked). On your way to or from Homer Quartz Creek campground is absolutely beautiful and good fishing there too. If you need any other spots or info let me know. Enjoy!

Reactions: Turtle

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Hopefully it's something easy to fix. Being a sprinter it could be any number of stupid little things. I took one to Seattle once that was going to Alaska but they decided to fly it there. Probably did us a favor seeing that when we got to Alaska it delivered like 400 miles inland and it was winter. Total run was going to pay crazy money. Wishing you the best of luck brother. Be safe!