Cargo Van OEM wheels

tolandch

Seasoned Expediter
I have the OEM steel wheels on a 2014 Mercedes Sprinter. I've had five wheels to start loosing air where the wheels are welded together at the air stem. I do put on heavy miles 250000 in 18 months. Sometimes up to 2200 lbs. I looking for recommendations on what type wheels I should be using.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We had 3 steel wheels do the same thing. Started soon after encountering cross winds that were nuts. Maby OEM aluminum wheels, (used but good ?) might hold up better. We have since slowed down during heavy crosswinds. Discount Tire had aftermarket wheels for around $100 per, but not in stock at any of the stores we've been to.
2011 long, tall 2500

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Those wheels should be fine. Did you ask the dealer where you bought the van at? First off WOW a lot of miles! Second I've got the nice aluminum factory wheels on mine and I like them and it makes the van look great. I've still got my steel wheels and haven't had a problem with them.

tolandch

Seasoned Expediter
No. FedexCC weighs us and they don't give loads that overload. I had 300 lbs on last load that wheel broke.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have heard of this happening with sprinters. I've put on probably 700,000 miles maybe more between two of them and never had a problem. Curious what tires and air pressure are you running?

Reactions: ntimevan

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Might have a look at the right axle end play. We've gone over100.000 mile now, no wheel problems. We have been slowing down during heavy cross wind conditions.