Occupational accident insurance

mforrester62

New Recruit
Driver
This thing is kicking into high gear now and I need to know about "OAI". Hook me up!

Is it high? Where best to shop? Do some carriers offer it? Is it required by law for truckers to carry it?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It varies by state, but most carriers will require it. Most states require people to be covered under Worker's Compensation, although business owners (like independent contractors) aren't employees, so the alternative is Occupational Accident Insurance.

Ballpark is about $30 a week. It covers you for any accidents you may have while under dispatch. When you're not under dispatch you are not covered, in the same way that at a regular job you are covered by Worker's Compensation when you have an accident at work, but not when you have an accident after work while at home.

OOIDA has OAI plans. I get mine through my carrier.

mforrester62

New Recruit
Driver
Do you think it's something that may be available through the fleet owner? I have not talked about it with him, but it's in the agreement I have to sign with him that I will be required to carry it.

"FedEx Custom Critical independent owner operators are required to have workers compensation or work accident insurance, depending on the regulations of the state in which they are based. Owner operators are responsible for providing their own workers compensation or work accident insurance. Those who choose to purchase work accident insurance from Protective Insurance Company may have the payments deducted directly from their settlement checks."
~FedEx Custom Critical site

Reactions: m&ttruckers

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Somebody who has driven for a fleet owner, or is a fleet owner (like davekc), can answer that for you insofar as how that works. But it's pretty standard stuff with all the major carriers.

Reactions: mforrester62

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
FedEx used to have a plan that cost a certain percentage of the gross. As a vanner I chose that and it worked great. When I didn't work I didn't pay anything.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mforrester62

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If a independent contractor it is basically a pass through with the carrier you are leased. Coverage and amounts will depend on carrier on their policy. If a employee, it is more driven by state law. Those requirements and the type of coverage will vary from state to state. Basically your coverage through the carrier that the fleet owner collects for them.