o/os

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
newbie here,talked to a o/o the other day,said that he will pay 40/60 split,he will pay for fuel,maybe tolls.is this a good deal?will be driving a str trk.looking for a o/o to drive for.looking to start out in a van if poss.but everybody on here(forum)says that i will not make any money in a van.is this true?or is it these other people do not want new poeple getting into expediting?i've been driving for 14yrs prof.have been driving for over 23 yrs.have not heard back from that o/o as of yet.can i make good,or decent money doing this?i'm not lazy,i'm very depenable,late only once in 5 yrs at present job,never take off sick, always come in maybe go home early when sick.is it that some of the other drivers are not making money due to not excepting loads,not on time,or out of service?it seems to me that there is alot of advertising for a need for drivers,o/os.if there is no money to be made doing this,then why do people do it?sorry so long of a post.thanks,

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Earl,
The way an owner pays his driver is not an area where a recruiter or a company can make comment. That arrangement is purely between owner and driver. The equipment is leased to the company, and the company pays the truck owner. That owner has the right to pay his drivers (subcontractors) as he deems fair and reasonable. The company that equipment is leased to has no say regarding how and when a contractor's drivers are paid.

(AND>>>) There is money to be made in this business as a driver if you minimize your expenses, run hard, and find a good truck owner to work for. (Good owners are STILL out there. Shop around.)

Best of luck - Scott

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I agree that a company has no say on how or when a contractor pays his drivers. However, I think a company has an obligation to terminate that contractor if he has a history of not paying his drivers. Too many times I hear drivers getting nothing but "we can't help" from companies, who know all too well that a particular contractor has done this before. However, his two or five or ten trucks are more important than the wellbeing of those who drive it.

I'm lucky to be working for a contractor who is stable in the company. And the owner of said company will not tolerate drivers not being paid. There's a nice little clause in all the companys' contracts, about the contracts being terminated for ANY reason. You'd think that would be used on deadbeat contractors more often.