Not your typical expediter.

sjspitser

New Recruit
Driver
I have debated back and forth with posting this publicly, however I would really love to pick some brains about what our best options are. My wife and I are both former drivers. We now live quietly in Kentucky with our kids, but they're getting older and we're getting a little restless. We do not want to get back into the rat race of driving full-time again, because we both have other careers now. But we have toyed with the idea of leasing a truck (preferably straight truck) with a company and hiring a driver. But we're really not sure what all is entailed in that. Plus, we'd love the freedom of driving when we wanted to take a load, every now and then. This may just be an idea that fizzles out, but I would at least like some information from some of you more experienced expediters. Thanks for the input.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can look on this site. There are a lot of companies/fleet owners looking for drivers. GOOD drivers are not easy to come by, Then you would have to find a trustworthy driver with your equipment and everything that goes into operatoring the truck, maintaince, fuel, Ins, workers comp, etc.... I'm not sure it would be worth it for just one truck. Just my 2 cents.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For every one GOOD driver/team you'll have a few that are mediocre at best, abuse your equipment, don't have a proper work ethic and cost you as much as they make you. The two happiest days in a person's life are the day they become a fleet owner and start their new adventure and the day they dispose of the last of the fleet and all it's problems and headaches.

Reactions: schwanman

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
something to look into, you have car dealer's and truck dealer's that need a unit moved from one dealer to next
go to different dealers in your area and say , if you need something moved we can do that
you make about $10.00 per hour, It is call DT dear transfer, you go from one dealer to do pickup than transfer to dealer
also if you have a 2nd driver for chase unit that will make it easier for you
send pm tell you more about this

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you want to occasionally drive you will have to jump through some hoops and get certified drug tested etc I did that once to drive a week when I was a small time 2 sprinter fleet owner and it was more trouble then it was worth :)