North Carolina voters reject same-sex marriage.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Traditional values were upheld in North Carolina today as voters there approved an admendment to their state constitution defining the only legally valid marriage as those between a man and woman.

www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/us/north-carolina-voters-pass-same-sex-marriage-ban.html

Social conservatives applaud the action as North Carolina becomes the 30th state to ban homosexual marriage. All southern states now officially ban this practice. The Reverend Billy Graham is reported to have made public appeals asking North Carolina voters to reject homosexual marriage.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Yesss proud to be next to a state with those values.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Of all the places I would see this....the soapbox where most want big government out of our lives and here some cheering and advocating to invite them into the bedroom...and into the lives of fellow Americans and such prejudice against a certain sexual orientation...I suppose so much for equal rights for all Americans.....whats the next step? Ban mixed race marriages?
I am disappointed at the direction this country is turning....:(

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Of all the places I would see this....the soapbox where most want big government out of our lives and here some cheering and advocating to invite them into the bedroom...and into the lives of fellow Americans and such prejudice against a certain sexual orientation...I suppose so much for equal rights for all Americans.....whats the next step? Ban mixed race marriages?
I am disappointed at the direction this country is turning....:(

No one is inviting the government into the bedroom, it was a vote on gay marriage not gay sex. Once the government gets involved in legalizing gay marriage the other side could say they are getting involved in our lives and doing so against what Americans want. This vote is the result of a democratic process which should not be tossed aside. I really don't care what two consenting adults do but I do not want to be told everyone has to accept gay marriage because they are fighting for their rights. They have had the exact same rights straight people have had all along, a gay man can go marry any single willing woman or a gay woman can go marry any single willing man. They want special rights to be able to marry someone of the same sex and once they acknowledge that I would be more supportive.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Sticky wicket: marriage is considered a government controlled, civil union. It really has nothing to do with religion, in spite of the vows. The Pope himself could officiate the ceremony, but until the local county clerk signs and stamps that license, the marriage isn't valid.

The license is issued by the government who also collects a fee for the document...and you can't get married without it!

The unfortunate dissolution of a marriage also takes place through our court system, and those are considered "civil" actions as well.

Therefore, the government already has their hands on marriage, start to sometimes finish.

I have a friend who is marrying his partner in June. I say it's high time those two have a legal leg to stand on. They've been together 16 years, they truly care for one another (they don't run around doing PDA though), and they are not doing this for shock value. They truly want to commit their lives to one another and feel the need to get married. I say: doesn't affect my day to day living. Go for it. I'll still sleep well.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
How sad .. what happened to "the prusuit of happiness"...who cares who a person loves...I know who..all those bible banging HYPOCRITES...if a man marries a man....how does that affect you??? It does not...people just trying to push there values on someone else...sad just sad people can't marry who they want..its 2012 not 1905....

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Yesss proud to be next to a state with those values.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums[/QUOTE

How does 2 men or 2 women getting married affect your life..to.the point you have to make it illegal...just curious??

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No one is inviting the government into the bedroom, it was a vote on gay marriage not gay sex. Once the government gets involved in legalizing gay marriage the other side could say they are getting involved in our lives and doing so against what Americans want. This vote is the result of a democratic process which should not be tossed aside. I really don't care what two consenting adults do but I do not want to be told everyone has to accept gay marriage because they are fighting for their rights. They have had the exact same rights straight people have had all along, a gay man can go marry any single willing woman or a gay woman can go marry any single willing man. They want special rights to be able to marry someone of the same sex and once they acknowledge that I would be more supportive.

Paul...I can understand a church not allowing gay marriage... but not the government...
The government should not be telling anyone who they can marry...
WHY is it so special as you say.....to want to marry the person of ones choice?...They just want to be able to marry like everyone else...Heck they are Americans covered under the Constitution of equal rights....There was no democratic process...the bible thumpers applied the pressure and it got on the ballot...It should never have been on the ballot to begin with...

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
How sad .. what happened to "the prusuit of happiness"...who cares who a person loves...I know who..all those bible banging HYPOCRITES...if a man marries a man....how does that affect you??? It does not...people just trying to push there values on someone else...sad just sad people can't marry who they want..its 2012 not 1905....

Yes, indeed, what happened to the pursuit of happiness? My gf and I are in love, and we wish to be free to pursue our love unhindered by the government, but they say we can't. It breaks her heart as she lays there in her coop. We even have to engage in our intimate relations in secret. An outrage, I tell you! And to think of all the fresh eggs with which she could supply me!

This guy that lives down the street demands the same recognition of his relationship. He wants to marry and openly "romance" his "partner." But the neighbors and the government are all up -in -arms over it, the same way sodomites were oppressed all these years. Just because little Timmy is only 9 years old, who are we to say they shouldn't be able to consummate their love? GD it! What happened to the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS?

Look, nobody is saying the gummint should d be kicking down doors to see what a couple of perverts do with their genitals, but marriage implies imprimatur, and 30 states say sodomites can't have that. Even Elton John asks of "his people," "Why are we enraging these people with this marriage thing? We can already do everything we want to do through other legal means." He and his butt buddy, his partner in perversion, have even adopted a child so they can destroy his life.

Privacy, OK. Not being assaulted as you walk down the street? Sure. Society's approval of sodomy? Can't have it. Repent of your perversion before you reap the eternal and/or earthly consequences of your actions.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Yes, indeed, what happened to the pursuit of happiness? My gf and I are in love, and we wish to be free to pursue our love unhindered by the government, but they say we can't. It breaks her heart as she lays there in her coop. We even have to engage in our intimate relations in secret. An outrage, I tell you! And to think of all the fresh eggs with which she could supply me!

This guy that lives down the street demands the same recognition of his relationship. He wants to marry and openly "romance" his "partner." But the neighbors and the government are all up -in -arms over it, the same way sodomites were oppressed all these years. Just because little Timmy is only 9 years old, who are we to say they shouldn't be able to consummate their love? GD it! What happened to the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS?

Look, nobody is saying the gummint should d be kicking down doors to see what a couple of perverts do with their genitals, but marriage implies imprimatur, and 30 states say sodomites can't have that. Even Elton John asks of "his people," "Why are we enraging these people with this marriage thing? We can already do everything we want to do through other legal means." He and his butt buddy, his partner in perversion, have even adopted a child so they can destroy his life.

Privacy, OK. Not being assaulted as you walk down the street? Sure. Society's approval of sodomy? Can't have it. Repent of your perversion before you reap the eternal and/or earthly consequences of your actions.

Wow.YOU HAVE SOME HATRED !!..butt buddys huh?? Well you sir are the problem...ignorance !! YOU know the biggest gay bashers are always the closeted people who Can't
come to terms with there feelings...so who's your butt buddy ?? ...I see the problem..your BIBLE.. your book of FAIRY TALES.. there's the problem!!! Take your religion and KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.. quit cramimg your goody goody ideas out of peoples lives who don't accept your ideas...

So 2 gay men adopting a child is ruining the child's life.?? How is that?? What about a home with 2 loving parents ..how is that bad??? .

All your bible buddys are against abortion...so now we have a couple that adopts a kid and your against that..
you people are nuts!!

Appraently you did not get enough hugs as a kid..

Edited for name calling

Last edited by a moderator:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

If 2 men marry how does that really affect you?? Nobody will answer this??

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What those that are against this vote in NC and the 29 other states that have passed laws defining marriage between a man and a woman are missing is...it is a "Stdates" issue...not a federal issue...the Fed doesn't issue any marriage licences...other then that, more power to them..well just not in the 30 states that have d manefined marriage to be between a man and a woman...but for now there are still 20 states thet can get married in and live as a legally married couple...

We have no Federal "marrigae laws".....so the Fed gov is not stepping on the Constitution or denying anyone their God Given Righr to the "Pursuit of Happiness"....But, the PEOPLE of EACH STATE have the right to control those issues not covered by the Constitution and or Bill of Rights, and 30 them have....legally, by a vote of each states registered voters....don't like what they have done...change the "STATES" laws.....just as the people of NC did yesterday when they voted to include the definition of "marriage" in "STATE" Constitution....

And for those that think this was a "Law" that was passed in NC that a judge or even the SC can "overturn"..can't happen..this was/is a "Constitutional ammendment" that was put to the "people"...they "voted" and the "majority" of the "states" voters decided the outcome...no judge or court can do a thing about it...it would take another "vote of the people" of that state to ammend the "stsates Constitution" to remove what they just voted in.....

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Paul...I can understand a church not allowing gay marriage... but not the government...
The government should not be telling anyone who they can marry...
WHY is it so special as you say.....to want to marry the person of ones choice?...They just want to be able to marry like everyone else...Heck they are Americans covered under the Constitution of equal rights....There was no democratic process...the bible thumpers applied the pressure and it got on the ballot...It should never have been on the ballot to begin with...

It is a special right because marriage has always been between a man and woman but now states are looking to clearly define it due to pressure from gay activists. No one is saying gays cannot get married but they have to follow the same rules I did which was to marry a willing single person of the opposite sex. They already can get married just like everyone else, the idea they want to marry someone of the same sex is asking for a special right. There absolutely was a democratic process that took place, you may not agree with it but it was. Now if the gay community wanted to pursue civil unions that gave them the same coverage (taxes, healthcare, etc) I would have no issues with that. Marriage has been a religious ceremony that was later tangled up with the government to be able to control and tax more efficiently.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
What those that are against this vote in NC and the 29 other states that have passed laws defining marriage between a man and a woman are missing is...it is a "Stdates" issue...not a federal issue...the Fed doesn't issue any marriage licences...other then that, more power to them..well just not in the 30 states that have d manefined marriage to be between a man and a woman...but for now there are still 20 states thet can get married in and live as a legally married couple...

We have no Federal "marrigae laws".....so the Fed gov is not stepping on the Constitution or denying anyone their God Given Righr to the "Pursuit of Happiness"....But, the PEOPLE of EACH STATE have the right to control those issues not covered by the Constitution and or Bill of Rights, and 30 them have....legally, by a vote of each states registered voters....don't like what they have done...change the "STATES" laws.....just as the people of NC did yesterday when they voted to include the definition of "marriage" in "STATE" Constitution....

And for those that think this was a "Law" that was passed in NC that a judge or even the SC can "overturn"..can't happen..this was/is a "Constitutional ammendment" that was put to the "people"...they "voted" and the "majority" of the "states" voters decided the outcome...no judge or court can do a thing about it...it would take another "vote of the people" of that state to ammend the "stsates Constitution" to remove what they just voted in.....

You sure like the "quote" button on that keyboard chef. Lol

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With all the problems that are going on, this is hardly the place to be spending time and taxpayer money to fool with it. Too much attention and efforts should be spent on other things.
This is right up there with states (2) spending thousands to ban school bake sales and Girl Scout cookies. Really.:rolleyes:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If 2 men marry how does that really affect you?? Nobody will answer this??

Yes it does effect me. The gay activists are now the bullies in this country and I am not going to be pushed around by them. I really have no issues with civil unions but marriage is a religious ceremony and should be left alone instead of allowing gay activist bullies to push their way in.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
.... the voice of sanity .... crying from the wilderness:

With all the problems that are going on, this is hardly the place to be spending time and taxpayer money to fool with it. Too much attention and efforts should be spent on other things.

This is right up there with states (2) spending thousands to ban school bake sales and Girl Scout cookies. Really.:rolleyes:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Marriage, noun, the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

That is the primary definition of marriage. I'm sure that definition has remained unchanged for the few hundred years of printed dictionaries and the few millennia of verbal dictionaries prior.

To that has been added marriage, noun, a similar institution involving partners of the same gender: gay marriage.

If one could trace back they'd likely find that definition has existed for the few hundred days or perhaps at most few hundred weeks of the gay activists agenda. It is a PC definition just like affirmative action and others.

Marriage is a state issue and to a state is strictly a revenue source. To individuals it is a religious issue, a morals issue and whatever other thing it can be viewed as depending on the individual. It isn't a federal issue at all and it shouldn't be. The left will do all they can to make it a federal issue though because that is another area of control and they are all about control.

As it is, this is a N.C. issue which was decided by the majority wishes in N.C.. That is how it should be there and in the other 49 states.