No forced dispatch...

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
.."open door policy" "No turn down pnalties". Ok, so I've noticed these slogans are on the recruiting page of just about all the carriers. Iv'e been away from the OTR stuff for well over 10 years with the exception of some dedicated line haul work I didin 02.

With that said, I was reading a thread here about a guy hauling some Hazmat in a van. I didn't want to high jack that thread so here we are. That story sounds much more like the dispatchers that I remember. Screaming at ya.. threatening to charge me with abandonment.. threatening you with DAC.

So what gives here? If I turn down a load what happens? Do i go to the bottom of the list. Is there mysteriously no freight for me for the next month(s). I'm not saying that all these carriers are lying I'm just asking how it works.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
All the recognized name carriers have official policies on load acceptance, including penalties (if any) for turning down loads.
And some have dispatchers who seem to have their own policies - though you'd have a devil of a time proving it, I bet.
The "open door" brag always puzzled me, because an open door doesn't mean squat if they just promise you anything, but do nothing, ya know?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
tex, i hope you read my last addition to the thread. bad communication from all involved. no one yelled or threatened. driver was not proactive to get a clear understanding of the shipment. i wonder how many of these there actually are and we never hear about them.

that said there is a carrier who if you refuse a load will put you out of service for 8 hours. another carrier limits their vans to strt trk mileage and then cross docks the frt if it is cross country.

the open door policy is great if you happen to be nearby.

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks all.. I got the picture. "Names Changed but the song remains same" Jack, sorry I didn't mean to infer that the guy in the other thread was pressured into the load. And yes, at the end of the day the driver is ultimately responsible for what goes on their donky. Thanks, dave

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
"learning curve always takes a twist thru the wallet..."

Thanks vanman that's exactly why I'm here.. If I had of found a site like this before I signed on with fedex "Home" it sure would have saved me a lot of money and headache.. Thanks, dave

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
LOL.. next time you see that lil dog notice he only has three legs, we nicknamed him "tripod".. We used to say "I thought to myself what would our honorable mascot, tripod, do in this situation" then we would say I decided to pss on it and leave it at the gate.. (not litterally)

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Yep.

You will have to be placed in detention (just like high school).

You can count on be passed over (some call it "going around" you) for loads.

You will get the shorter run if multiple loads need to be covered and there are several available trucks in the same locality.

Of course, all can be avoided if you become the "front man" and yammer endlessly about all the miles you are running, how equitable you are being dispatched and why it is important to run at 20-30 cpm below the going rate. Oh, and don't forget to champion why fixed FSC's are necessary. When the stings are pulled just dance accordingly and you might be able to make your truck payment, but you will have to sell your house and live in the truck.

No new thing under the sun! You are correct...same games with a few new twists.

I accept no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Expediters Online. Electronic transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secured or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of this electronic transmission. This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work-product immunity or other legal rules.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Does the Reverend have a chip on his shoulder, or what?!
There are carriers who engage in none of those behaviors, including the one for whom I drive. They do their best for me, and I for them, and we are both satisfied.
You don't have to settle for less.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
The whole forced dispatch thing can go two ways, the way I see it. You might get passed over for turning down too many lousy loads, but if you take everything they throw at you, you might end up being the "Mikey" of the company and the dispatchers will know that they can throw anything at you because you will take it. The dispatcher has two loads and there are two trucks in the area, yours and another one. One of the loads is a bad load, but both are from good customers that the company doesn't want to say no to. Who is the dispatcher going to call first with the piece of junk load, the person who might or might not turn it down, or the guy who always says yes to every offer because he wants to stay in the good graces of the company?

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
Seems like we just hit a nerve with the guy. Ya'll know him better than I do, but honestly at one time I was him. I hated Fedex sooo bad.. (I know, not very Christian) but man I really couldn't pass one of their trucks without going off.. Seems like the Rev. has something eating him.. and whatever it was it got triggerd by Vanman's post, I guess. I thought that post was kinda tongue and cheek... but I dont think he did. :mad: So Cherri are you going to tell me who you pull/drive for?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A small outfit called Polly Express. But I remember you're a solo, and Polly, like everyone else practically, is only adding teams now. Those of us who've been with her for awhile are ok to solo, so I'm staying put - no complaints. I don't adapt well to the corporate culture, is my problem, lol.

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
A small outfit called Polly Express. But I remember you're a solo, and Polly, like everyone else practically, is only adding teams now. Those of us who've been with her for awhile are ok to solo, so I'm staying put - no complaints. I don't adapt well to the corporate culture, is my problem, lol.

Thanks Cheri, had to ask. Glad you're happy, I don't blame you for "staying put".

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I do not think Dave hates Fedex, it is just the constant cheerleading from the Fedex cheerleaders that gets old. And it is more than just a front man, there is a whole squad on here.

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
Applause:D

Yep.

You will have to be placed in detention (just like high school).

You can count on be passed over (some call it "going around" you) for loads.

You will get the shorter run if multiple loads need to be covered and there are several available trucks in the same locality.

Of course, all can be avoided if you become the "front man" and yammer endlessly about all the miles you are running, how equitable you are being dispatched and why it is important to run at 20-30 cpm below the going rate. Oh, and don't forget to champion why fixed FSC's are necessary. When the stings are pulled just dance accordingly and you might be able to make your truck payment, but you will have to sell your house and live in the truck.

No new thing under the sun! You are correct...same games with a few new twists.

I accept no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Expediters Online. Electronic transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secured or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of this electronic transmission. This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work-product immunity or other legal rules.