No experience needed????

Abrown

New Recruit
Researching
I got my CDL A with haz/tanker back in 2011 and never used it. I went overseas to do contracting instead and reverse back to my standard drivers licence. I would like to buy my own straight truck and get on with a company before i try to venture out on my own. Is that the right way to do it? SOLO driver

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Probably not. Consider finding a reputable owner and driving for them for several months. You'll learn a lot, including whether you really want to do this. If so, then you can spend a fortune on a truck etc. and go on your own. You may also learn this isn't for you after all and you'll suffer none of the losses you would had you bought a truck etc.. With the right owner you may also find you are in just the spot you want and stick with it.

Reactions: Moot and Ragman

Abrown

New Recruit
Researching
Probably not. Consider finding a reputable owner and driving for them for several months. You'll learn a lot, including whether you really want to do this. If so, then you can spend a fortune on a truck etc. and go on your own. You may also learn this isn't for you after all and you'll suffer none of the losses you would had you bought a truck etc.. With the right owner you may also find you are in just the spot you want and stick with it.
[/QUOTE
What do you foresee being the worst part of the job?

Abrown

New Recruit
Researching
I didn't want to go into details about me...I've read some of the post on here about the guys with no home, wife or kids get looked at as wannabees. My first plan was to buy a RV and just travel and then i came across a expediting video on youtube. So i figure, i like to travel and i want to make money also. So having a straight truck with a fridge, sink, bed and maybe wet-bath would work for me. Who needs hometime when you live in your home.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There'll be disagreement and argument from some who read this probably but an expediting straight truck isn't a travel vehicle. It's very inconvenient in travel mode. It's not economical. The expenses run every minute whether working or not. You could get similar space accommodations in a Sprinter camper van and have a much more comfortable travelling vehicle. It would also be far more convenient to maneuver and park when you want to visit places. I'm not sure how you incorporate generating revenue into that plan but the expenses are going to be far far less.

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got my CDL A with haz/tanker back in 2011 and never used it. I went overseas to do contracting instead and reverse back to my standard drivers licence. I would like to buy my own straight truck and get on with a company before i try to venture out on my own. Is that the right way to do it? SOLO driver
Probably should have kept your CDL. Nothing like spending that money and time to get it again. Once you get it and keep it for as long as you need to. It never goes to waste.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Become an expediter! See America, at night!

LDB is spot-on with a straight truck not being a travel vehicle. It's a work vehicle, and an expensive one to operate, at that. Expediting is first and foremost a business. Enter expediting knowing that, and you'll probably be OK.

Abrown

New Recruit
Researching
I just cant understand why people equate the expedite industry as nothing more than vacationing with a side order of delivering.
I never said anything about vacationing. I said i like to travel meaning being out on the road driving.

Abrown

New Recruit
Researching
Become an expediter! See America, at night!

LDB is spot-on with a straight truck not being a travel vehicle. It's a work vehicle, and an expensive one to operate, at that. Expediting is first and foremost a business. Enter expediting knowing that, and you'll probably be OK.
And its expensive to operate an RV. So my question. Why do one choose a straight truck over a van???? Yes its a business, but i like to have some comforts instead of a cot in the back of a van.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Van over a straight truck or semi is based a bit on the hours of service...and my old van had a nice custom 10 inch memory foam bed in it along with a espar heater.....but i have seen much more put in a van..it comes down to a balance of comfort over freight volume.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You wouldn't have a shower in a van but when there is no cargo you have a very large "sleeper" area equal or even larger than many straight trucks. I had a G3500 extended. I had an Onan 2800 Quiet generator, Coleman roof air, Fantastic Fan, inverter, hotel battery, microwave, pretty much every comfort and convenience I wanted. The drawback was not standing up straight. If I were to go back in it I'd go with a stand up height van. I drove all 3 sizes starting in T/T then S/T and ending in a van. I did ok in a van and liked the freedom it gave me to go/see/do things. I'd only go back out if I went in a van.

Reactions: Abrown and muttly