Night Driving

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
How does everyone handle finding a place to use the restroom at night? We split our driving shifts in the middle of the night and I sure try to wait as long as possible for daylight. Sometimes I stop at rest areas and I usually pull into the car side and try to get close to the rest rooms and make a dash for it. Sometimes I can go through the fuel islands at a truck stop and run in. Anybody have any better ideas?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I was driving team for USA we'd pull through the fuel island and stop as if we'd just fueled. Just to run in to the bathroom isn't going to take as long as it takes the guy fueling behind the truck to do his thing. It never was a problem.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It's not usually an option for a woman to stop on the side of the road and water the tires. Something that may be an option is a female hospital urinal. The male one works for me in a pinch, though I would rather pull thru a fuel island as suggested. I don't like having a full container while the truck is moving. It only takes one time for that thing to fall and the lid pop open. Not nice. So, I tend to use it if I wake up and have to go. Then empty it in the grass on the far side of the truckstop, so as to not stink up the asphalt.

Broom... ya get that? :7

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
We use a Porta Potti. We have a cabinet we can slide it into to keep it out of site. Flying J has an RV dump as do many TA's. It's a life saver!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's a product at www.thepett.com that can be a lifesaver when montezuma decides to take his revenge on you. It folds to take up little more space than a briefcase and unfolds to a fully adequate facility. For those with a portapotti it's not needed but for everyone else it can be a good piece of emergency equipment.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rest areas are a BAD idea at night. Even doing what you can to make it quick, it's too easy for a scumbag to be hiding in the dark and sneak up from behind. He gets away without you or anyone else getting a look at him. Stick with truckstops.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Porta-potti would be my vote. Especially in the winter!
To use to FL weather to take a hike in 10 degree weather.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator