Fuel for Thought Nice Cans!

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
Where have all the nice cans gone? I look around, but there seems to be a shortage of them lately. I remember when a couple of big cans could be found anywhere. It’s nice to run across a couple of nice cans at the truck stop fuel island or in parking lots. I find everything's better with a few nice cans around.

READ MORE...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The next time you are at a truck stop, look around. Do you notice a shortage of garbage cans? When you can’t find one, what do you do with your trash?
Honestly, I most often try to find a dumpster at a truck stop. At the truck stops without dumpsters but with only the compactor, I usually don't mess with the compactor and will go for a trash can at a fuel island. But it seems a little silly to me to put my trash in a trash can just so someone else can then take it to a dumpster, when I can skip the middleman and just go to the dumpster.

I very rarely use a dumpster at a pickup or delivery, and never without first asking permission. Trash pickup costs money and they may have a history of people (locals) dumping trash in their dumpsters, costing them extra for additional pickups, so they may be sensitive to it. The last thing I want is for them to view me or my carrier in a bad light.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Honestly, I most often try to find a dumpster at a truck stop. At the truck stops without dumpsters but with only the compactor, I usually don't mess with the compactor and will go for a trash can at a fuel island. But it seems a little silly to me to put my trash in a trash can just so someone else can then take it to a dumpster, when I can skip the middleman and just go to the dumpster.

I very rarely use a dumpster at a pickup or delivery, and never without first asking permission. Trash pickup costs money and they may have a history of people (locals) dumping trash in their dumpsters, costing them extra for additional pickups, so they may be sensitive to it. The last thing I want is for them to view me or my carrier in a bad light.

Dumpsters at truck stops are ideal, I agree, it cuts out the middle man.
Absolutely, dumpsters at shippers or receivers are a last resort, and ALWAYS ask first. But it sure is annoying to see someone throwing garbage on the ground. It takes very little effort to put it in its proper place.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree 100%. It's not like they aren't going to walk right past a trash can on the way in to get something to eat or take a shower. :fuelpump::toilet::pizza::shower:
emoji706.png

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Great now your advocating just using the dumpsters and taking someone's job away from emptying the trash cans !

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They probably return shopping carts too.
At the small grocery store I often go to when I'm at home, and the Dollar General Store, yes I do. If one is handy in my way into a Walmart or a Kroger, I'll take one in with me.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But it seems a little silly to me to put my trash in a trash can just so someone else can then take it to a dumpster, when I can skip the middleman and just go to the dumpster.
Not me! I have an aversion for dumpsters dating back to high school when I dropped one on a cop car. Besides that, you never know when you might find a dead body in a dumpster. It seems a little silly to me to throw trash in a dumpster just so some truck driver can pick it up, empty it and take it to a landfill, when I can eliminate the middleman and just go to the landfill myself.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Touché Moot! Can, dumpster or landfill- just not on the ground where it doesn't belong.

Reactions: Turtle