• lease to carrier

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • fully independent

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

sendit safely

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I have been working with a fleet owner for over a year . i know the business and how to operate but still learn something new every day. well im ready to take the next step and become a owner op with my own mc number or sign on with a carrier. Been calling insurance companies to get ideas on rates. can anyone recommend any good insurance company. also any carrier companies that hiring teams that are good that give decent miles. thanks

guido4475

Not a Member
I have been working with a fleet owner for over a year . i know the business and how to operate but still learn something new every day. well im ready to take the next step and become a owner op with my own mc number or sign on with a carrier. Been calling insurance companies to get ideas on rates. can anyone recommend any good insurance company. also any carrier companies that hiring teams that are good that give decent miles. thanks

It's not about the miles, but about the pay. So you want to pay high primary insurance rates, ($2,500 and higher a year?) relying on scraps from load boards for loads, (so when it is slow the big carriers have no scraps to put on the load boards, so you starve), be on the phone constantly with however many carriers you are leased to, seeing if they have found anything or not, all the while the time you are on the phone with them is taking them away from looking for loads for you. Another thing to think about is this: you are pleased to 4 carriers, let's say. You empty out, go to a Pilot, and wait for a load.Say, fir example, I am a manufacturer, forwarder, whatever. I need a skid moved that is picking up in the area that you are in. I see 4 companies with a van available in that area. Sweet! (In all reality, it's only you, Mr. Multicarrier leased to 4 companies. But I dont know that). I send out emails for a freight quote to all 4 companies. Naturally, I'm going to go with the cheapest bidder. Guess what? By you being a multicarrier guy leased to 4 carriers, you just sold yourself out to the cheapest bidder! Congratulations! And this may happen everywhere you go. I have a good freind who is a multicarrier. I dont even feel sorry for him anymore. So sad. You mentioned that you are a team? Being a team in an un-regulated vehicle (van) is no big advantage. Sure, there may be a few customers who may request a team van, but how often? Very little, I'm assuming. You would be a much more valuable commodity as a team in a straight, in my opinion. There are quite a few great fleet owners out there, who run their equipment properly. DaveKC, Dynamite, SWTexas, and the guy who has all those new trucks leased to Load One would be a few I would consider.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has this guy even stated what he's driving?
Sendit safely, are you driving a van, straight ... what exactly?

Guido, you accurately describe how non-exclusive companies operate in the marketplace but your assumptions on bidding are incorrect. If I work for 4 companies, they all get the same price from me. I get my price no matter which company secures the load. If the carrier wishes to compete on their margin, that's up to them.

I think teams can do well if they're with the right company.

I voted lease to carrier. Find a good carrier that fits.

guido4475

Not a Member

Guido, you accurately describe how non-exclusive companies operate in the marketplace but your assumptions on bidding are incorrect. If I work for 4 companies, they all get the same price from me. I get my price no matter which company secures the load. If the carrier wishes to compete on their margin, that's up to them.

My incorrect assumptions are based on what a couple of multicarrier freinds of mine continuously complain about.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

My incorrect assumptions are based on what a couple of multicarrier freinds of mine continuously complain about.

Understood ....
If that's how they operate, they are stooges of the highest degree.
Also, I don't believe that's how most handle their business. I could be wrong ..

guido4475

Not a Member

Understood ....
If that's how they operate, they are stooges of the highest degree.
Also, I don't believe that's how most handle their business. I could be wrong ..

It would surprise you as much as it does me. The lack of common sense is at epidemic levels at times....lol..

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Plus a dozen on CIS. If I were returning to the business I wouldn't talk to anyone else.

Reactions: Grizzly

sendit safely

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
thanks everyone for input im in a sprinter van. and yes miles are important as well as pay (quality over quantity). and i know being a team would be more effective with my on mc then with a carrier.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
thanks everyone for input im in a sprinter van. and yes miles are important as well as pay (quality over quantity). and i know being a team would be more effective with my on mc then with a carrier.
No, splitting that meagre amount between two drivers would end your business faster. I'd love a driver. Can't afford it
(I respectfully disagree with danthewolf00)

guido4475

Not a Member

Would you rather make $100,000 driving 50,000 miles, or make $50,000 while driving 100,000 miles to do so?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The guy is currently working for a fleet owner. Being an owner/op is a step in the right direction and can increase his income.

Teams and single owner/ops are apples and oranges. The freight opportunities are not equal.

Sendit, there will always be naysayers. Do your research, you could be a valuable asset to the right carrier. And it could be mutually beneficial ...

Reactions: Worn Out Manager