newbies getting into expediting. What truck?

pair of rovers

Rookie Expediter
Hi fellow expediters, we are getting our class b cdl with air brake restrictions, and hazardous endorsement. Our question is, what truck can we use to take the skills and pre trip, test? I know it has to be gvw 26001 or above with air brakes. But the trouble we're having is finding where to rent a truck for the test. We live in kentucky. Should we try to find someone that is looking for a team and see if they will let us use the truck as long as we have someone with a cdl drive it to the testing area? Any constructive help will be appreciated. Thanks

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would look at training schools, some offer a truck and instructor for pretrip and road test.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I would look at training schools, some offer a truck and instructor for pretrip and road test.

I second that. That's what I did. It was ~$200 for the test and ~$250 to use the schools truck. Most, if not all, truck rental companies require your cdl before they'll rent you a cdl-necessary truck.

pair of rovers

Rookie Expediter
I will try to find a local training school. The problem is finding some place that has a class b truck.

Last edited:

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I would check into nearby technical colleges. Some have trucks for school classes and can let you use one of their trucks. That's what I did $75 for the test and $50 in gas for the truck. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums mobile app

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
How old are you guys ? Home time requirement? This career requires patience and flexibility of schedules etc. I have an open truck and also know of two driver training companies that are affordable . Let me know if you need a hand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

pair of rovers

Rookie Expediter
I'm 51 and she is 40ish. Lol. Kids grown on their own. Don't need to be home very often. I have 9 years of experience. I let my cdl lapse. We have most of the testing finished and already finger printed for hazmat. Need to do skills, pti, hazmat test. Do not need the school but the truck to test with. Have cdl permits, waiting for paperwork from Frankfort ky then we can take hazmat tests and skills.