danvictoria

New Recruit
Driver
Anyone here ever hear of empire national inc? I'm thinking of starting up with them. My recruiter told me if I go over the road I can expect to average 2500mi week at approximately average of .87/mile. Is this realistic nowadays or no? I'm looking to buy a ford transit 150 which is ok for to drive for them mainly the cargo space. I'm very new to this and looking for any and all advice. Thank you

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone here ever hear of empire national inc? I'm thinking of starting up with them. My recruiter told me if I go over the road I can expect to average 2500mi week at approximately average of .87/mile. Is this realistic nowadays or no? I'm looking to buy a ford transit 150 which is ok for to drive for them mainly the cargo space. I'm very new to this and looking for any and all advice. Thank you
I would not go with the 150 ford transit. In my opinion, long and tall along with at least a 350 frame works best. For one it can haul tall freight with a 3 skid capacity and a weight capacity of 3000 lbs. which most carriers would like to have. Now the rate of .87/mi may be realistic for one or two carriers but most are in the .70/mi or less range. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't do anything. You are nowhere near ready. You don't just buy a van and become a plumber or electrician or carpenter. You don't just buy a van and become an expediter. First, you want a minimum of a 3/4 ton van, NEVER a half ton van. A one ton van is better still but NO LESS than a 3/4 ton. If you buy the 150 it will be beaten to death before you know what happened.

You don't become those other professions without education/training. Lots of it. Expediting is just as much of a career as they are. You need lots of education for this. Before you spend any money you should read back 5 years through the General, Newbie and Recruiter forums here. That doesn't mean every single word but it does mean reading every thread title for 5 years. When you read a title that sounds like it applies to you and would educate you then you read every word of that thread. When you've gone back 5 years in all 3 forums you'll know enough to know you don't know enough. But you'll know enough to know what other questions you need to ask and to know when someone is blowing smoke.

Average 2500 miles a week in a van? I'd believe it when he shows me 12 months of settlements to the same unit number showing that. It just doesn't happen. Half that is much more realistic and that will even vary. They may be paying .87 per mile. When I retired in 2012 most were paying .70-80 and most were at the .70 end.

I've never heard of them but that doesn't mean anything. If I were going back out I'd be looking at Load-1, Panther, Fed-Ex and Landstar and the two L's would probably be my first suspects.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
There are some companies that do not require experience and help you find an owner who needs a driver, but usually nothing more than sharing your name and contact information with owners. The rest is between you and the owner. There might be some preliminary screening of your driving/criminal history so they are confident in sharing your name with their owners, but the rest will be up to you. Call all of them. Bolt Express is one. You don't need experience or a vehicle to get started. You do need to keep your expectations realistic. You are starting from scratch, and both the company and the owner are taking a big financial and liability risk when giving an opportunity to an unknown and unproven driver. You will invest minimal money but a lot of your time. You are asking others to give you the chance to have a successful business. Opportunities are there but you have to find them and convert them to success. Expediting does offer some income, some travel, some exposure to people and places you would never otherwise experience. But it is first and foremost a business.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not to be mean, but it's like it was said previously. You are nowhere near ready to get into this business.

Have to eat your vegetables before you eat your steak. Find a company like Bolt Express or Panther, who have owners who are always looking for contract drivers. Sign on with them and drive for a minimum of two years. That way you can see firsthand how this business is and learn as much as possible before you make such an investment on a van. There's a lot more to this business than buying a van and jumping in it....

There are numerous professionals on this site (current and former) that will tell you the same thing. Listen to what we are saying.

Reactions: Jason2

Conejo

New Recruit
Driver
Recrutier? is the recrutier primarly for Trucking? Also, what van did you end up with? Charge per mile? thank you!