Newbie with a question reguarding pay

alexmj616

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I am a brand new driver with an iffy driving record. I found a very small expediting company in Michigan(10 sprinters, 2 straight trucks) that is willing to give me a try.
They are offering 28 cents per mile, with them covering all expenses related to the van(maintenance, fuel(fuel card issued) etc.)
My question is, is this a reasonable amount of pay per mile for someone starting out with zero experience? Or are they trying to get cheap labor out of me? If so, what is a reasonable amount of pay per mile for someone like me?
Thanks for your time and responses.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The common split is 60/40 with the 60 side paying fuel. Since you pay no fuel etc. that makes you the 40 side. That means they are basing pay on 70cpm as 40% of 70c is 28c. It's on the low end but it gets you in the door and builds experience you can eventually use to get a better situation.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not awful, but it's not plum either. See if they'll do .30 (doesn't hurt to ask); if not, give it a whirl at .28 to see if you can make it. Say goodbye to steak and hello to peanut butter and ramen noodles.

Good luck

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Often someone learning a new language has a harder time typing, or writing out what they are thinking/trying to translate in their mind, than speaking it. English is one of the most difficult languages to learn. I believe that he was trying to say if the o.p could find better, good, but most are like that (paywise).

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Often someone learning a new language has a harder time typing, or writing out what they are thinking/trying to translate in their mind, than speaking it. English is one of the most difficult languages to learn. I believe that he was trying to say if the o.p could find better, good, but most are like that (paywise).

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app
I guess I get it.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd never do it ... just my 2 cents. Way to low for what's involved. I'd have a very difficult time not feeling like I was being taken advantage of constantly.

alexmj616

Rookie Expediter
Driver
I'd never do it ... just my 2 cents. Way to low for what's involved. I'd have a very difficult time not feeling like I was being taken advantage of constantly.
Then what do you think is a good amount for someone with no experience, just starting....30cents? 32 cents? 40 cents?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then what do you think is a good amount for someone with no experience, just starting....30cents? 32 cents? 40 cents?

Do the math. In the end, it will depend on how many miles they can get you, and if your an employee or IC.

If they can only get you 1k miles a week, could you really survive on a $218-$240 a week paycheck depending on if they take taxes out or not. Which would be a real world job equivalent of $7 an hour. Is that really worth living in a tin can for?

Now say they can get you 1500 miles.
$327-$420 $10.50 hr equivalent. Better .

And if by some chance you can get 2k miles a week. $436-$560 $14 hr equivalent.

Now with expediting, you would most likely have a combination of the 3 unless they have dedicated accounts or guaranteed miles.

But you have to also consider, if this is really such a great opportunity that:

1-they need a driver.
2-they are willing to give a driver with no experience and questionable license past a try.

Just be prepared for the financial realities of what you may be getting into.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums