Newbie with a payroll ?...........

fins_up_fl

Active Expediter
Hey guys. Ive been with Panther now for a month. I wanted to know, with the start up cost, ( ie straps,drug test, etc) ... is what the average before you seen any kind of "net" profit. After truck payment, and other fixed expenses, Im still in the hole, (not by much.. but still in the hole) ( mind you , the first week doesnt really count, bc all u do is track a trailer down, half way cross country, then wait your turn.. then the 2nd week, i put my truck in the shop before the warranty ran out , so that cost me 4 days....)
I watch my fuel. and hardly sit around for a load, If they dont have any, i broker one.. longest I ever sat is 34 hrs ( over the first weekend) ......... I was thinking around 3-4 weeks... but I had NO idea Panther took out so much the first month you are here. Hell, I was really thinking about leasing on a couple more trucks, but If i wont see any gains from any trucks... for ( insert months/weeks here) then.. im not sure. Last company I was with didnt have any start up cost what so ever. (too bad they went under..) so, any of you that have been here a while, may know what the "average" time before you see any books in the black... thanks for ur help.....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The only items I can think of would be your accident insurance, QC, drug test and physical. One run would cover those.
If you got your base plate and insure your truck through Panther, it will be higher. The third or fourth week should do it since you produced nothing or very little the first two.

fins_up_fl

Active Expediter
The only items I can think of would be your accident insurance, QC, drug test and physical. One run would cover those.
If you got your base plate and insure your truck through Panther, it will be higher. The third or fourth week should do it since you produced nothing or very little the first two.

Thanks... yea.. I Did sign up for Panthers Insurance, and Panthers base plate... I was too thinking by the fourth week.... It just seemed alittle odd to take this long to make by book come back to the black.... I just wanted to know if i was a little behind, ( 4 weeks or so) in my thinking.... thanks again,.....

bdmj989900

Seasoned Expediter
I would also say 4 weeks. You have all the deductions coming out until you get your first check. And those kill it in a hurry. Sounds like your running good. I would sugest getting your truck insurance through someone else. You can get a bettet insurance and it's going to be cheaper than getting it through Panther. That might help a little bit.