newbie starting my trucking career in expediting at panther

JLew90

Active Expediter
my name is Jon from Seville Ohio i just turned 21 and got my cdl going to drive for Panther with Mayfield Express LLC. haven't drove a rig out of the state and im a little nervous about mountain driving and inner city driving but with some support i know i can do it im up for the challenges ready to make the money :D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Just watch for lower speed limits in the mountains since they post them lower if there is a danger of burning up your brakes. Every city seems to have its own set of issues to contend with whether it be narrow streets, low overheads, streets that don't allow trucks, or bad/aggressive drivers it just takes a little experience to learn them. Just take the time to review a trucker's atlas to help minimize your risk.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

JLew90

Active Expediter
Ive heard to many stories about driving in the mountains, like certain passes and gaps that r rough i wonder whats worse apps or the rockies the big fear of it is brake wear giong down a mountain loosing control going over the edge or me sleeping and my co-driver wreck thats prolly alot of truckers fear

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Ive heard to many stories about driving in the mountains, like certain passes and gaps that r rough i wonder whats worse apps or the rockies the big fear of it is brake wear giong down a mountain loosing control going over the edge or me sleeping and my co-driver wreck thats prolly alot of truckers fear

Don't feel bad, I haven't driven through the real mountains out west but I worry about my freight even in a wal mart parking lot when I realize I forgot my Mickey's D's order at the counter and slam on the brakes.

We won't talk about the times, I've floored it in a gas station parking lot trying to shift the load back to the rear of the van.

JimmyB

Seasoned Expediter

Some of the biggest dangers out there as a new driver are in your mind.

Back when I first started driving OTR I would have fears about tipping the truck going around curves or losing control in heavy rain.

Of course in reality these are things that "could" happen if I were careless, but my mind used to blow them out of proportion.

As far as which are worse.... I think every driver may have different opinions. IMO West Virginia when you get off the highways have some of the steepest and winding climbs and decants in the country. The bottom line is, they are only as bad as your mind makes them out to be. You'll do just fine out there.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Jon

Fear is a good thing, It's when a driver gets over confident in driving a truck that accidents happen. I still have fear even after 18 years of Expediting. Just don't think your a super driver, drive the speed limit, and always follow the keys in the Smith System and you should be fine. This may help you.

Smith System Of Defensive Driving

1. Aim High in Steering
Look 15 seconds into your future. (Don’t just look at the vehicle in front of you)

2. Get the Big Picture
Look for Hazards. (Other Motorists, Pedestrians, Vehicle doors opening)

3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
Don’t stare. (Use your peripheral vision)(Stop the fixed habit stare)

4. Leave Yourself an Out
Monitor the space cushion around you and your bike.

5. Make sure They See You
Use your signals- (Directionals, 4-Way Flashers, Head Lights, Brake Lights, Horn, Hand Signals) Make Eye Contact.

Defensive Driving Characteristics The five characteristics of defensive driving are:

Knowledge
Good defensive drivers will have knowledge of the traffic laws and the basics about their motorcycles, such as how the brake system operates and how to read gauges and lights on the dash.

Alertness
Good defensive drivers are alert to what is going on around them. They are well rested and would never take any drugs or alcohol that could affect their concentration before riding a motorcycle.

Anticipation
Defensive drivers anticipate what may or may not happen, and they take action to avoid many problems. They anticipate potential hazards from other motorists, pedestrians, weather and equipment and take steps to minimize the risk.

Judgment
Good defensive drivers do not make risky maneuvers like trying to beat red lights. They don’t try to pass unless it’s safe and they look for alternatives to any traffic situation.

Skill
Good defensive drivers have the technical skills to operate the motorcycle safely through traffic without endangering anyone else on the road. They can handle the motorcycle even in hazardous conditions.

Intersections
One of the most dangerous areas in any road is the intersection. Cross traffic, turning vehicles and pedestrians can make getting across an intersection dangerous.
Many intersection accidents occur when drivers fail to use their turn signals or don’t know the right-of-way laws. Aggressive drivers will try to beat the red light and speed dangerously through an intersection.

Using defensive driving techniques can be summarized in the phase:
“Know, Show, Slow, Go”.

Know
Know who has the right-of-way, but never insist on the right-of-way.

Show
Communicate your intentions to other drivers. Use your turn signals, Signals, brake lights and motorcycle movement.

Slow
When approaching an intersection, you need to slow down and be Prepared to stop.

Go
Verify that the intersection is free of vehicles and pedestrians; then go safely.

REMEMBER:
The vehicle or pedestrian in the intersection always has the right-of-way, even if the traffic light is green. Also you are the professional driver now, law enforcement knows that you have taken many tests and training to get where you are today as a professional driver.

Brisco

Expert Expediter

Mountain Driving aint that hard.......

Semi Truck Rollover - YouTube

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Mountain Driving aint that hard.......

Semi Truck Rollover - YouTube

Jon has seen that video many times, he is my son that has dreamed of being a truck driver since he was three years old. He would ask his mother when he was a kid " what trucking company should I dream about tonight". Jon you have been waiting for this day to come for a long time and now that dream will be coming true.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
A little fear is a good thing, paralyzing fear is an accident waiting to happen.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Oh Oh, drivin for Dad? Could be trouble. If your late with a load, he may take away your car keys for a week, or make you go to your room without supper :D

Seriously, welcome. All the advice above is good. The 1st few times you go down some steep mountains, use a bit of extra caution. You can go down mountains too slow all the time, but will probably only go down too fast, once.

Another thing to be mindful of, off ramps. Those yellow ramp speed limit signs are done with cars in mind, not trucks. Dropping 5 miles below the speed posted on the sign is a will be a lot safer. There are a lot more roll overs on ramps than runaways on mountain roads, nowadays, I'd wager.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Why not ask your Fleet owner for a "Jake Brake " installed in your rig for mountain driving?.:rolleyes:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Why not ask your Fleet owner for a "Jake Brake " installed in your rig for mountain driving?.:rolleyes:

Not all of our trucks have them Bill. We aren't putting him in the newest truck as Jon needs to earn his way up the ladder.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
I know sometimes it can be hard to work out and we have no control over it. But when ever you can, try and schedule drive time going through the mountains in the beganing to the day time.It is much eaiser imo to learn the roads in the daylight.Just take it slow.Dont worry about that car behind you flashing his lights or blowing the horn at you.Its not their life in your hands so dont let them push you.Always remember you are the only one who knows what your limits are so dont let anyone tell you what you can or can not do.You will be ok.Have what fun you can while seeing this great country and stay safe out there.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ive heard to many stories about driving in the mountains, like certain passes and gaps that r rough i wonder whats worse apps or the rockies

The Rockies are waaaaay longer grades, making overheating [brakes going down, engine going up] more of a problem. On the upgrades, you can't run the AC, and I've run the heater on 100 degree days to pull heat from the engine on the long uphills.
On the downgrades, brake as much as possible while going straight - especially if the road's wet or slippery. When it's really foggy, or icy, get off the road until it improves - you'll just wear yourself out if you need to have a death grip on the steering wheel.

the big fear of it is brake wear giong down a mountain loosing control going over the edge or me sleeping and my co-driver wreck thats prolly alot of truckers fear

I hope not - why would you be sleeping with a codriver you can't trust driving in the mountains? As for brake wear, you need to KNOW the brakes are in good shape, first, and use them carefully - plus, the longer hills [Rockies] have spots to pull over & cool down, if needed. The biggest fear is going around a curve too fast, and it's the easiest to avoid: keep your speed down. :)

JLew90

Active Expediter
Thanks everone for advice i just did my first mountain and did great i ended up haulin *** down a 10% grade in pa on rt422 i no longer have that fear but might end up drivin downtown NYNY ... What a trip i get my fears thrown at me on first two loads lol, i definitly have mixed emotion about the east coast but wheels are turnin means im earnin (=

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Thanks everone for advice i just did my first mountain and did great i ended up haulin *** down a 10% grade in pa on rt422 i no longer have that fear but might end up drivin downtown NYNY ... What a trip i get my fears thrown at me on first two loads lol, i definitly have mixed emotion about the east coast but wheels are turnin means im earnin (=

Jon, your doing fine, just remember no driving on Parkways.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It's a different ballgame when those mountains are slick. Remember that.

As for New York, take your time and make good decisions. Don't rush into a mistake. And try to schedule your trip through it for 2 a.m. if you can.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
But when ever you can, try and schedule drive time going through the mountains in the beganing to the day time.It is much eaiser imo to learn the roads in the daylight.

You've obviously never driven in one of my dreams, close your eyes and press the pedal to the metal.