Newbie saying hello and have a few questions about straight truck jobs etc

JonH

Rookie Expediter
Hello everyone, my name is Jon I'm from the east coast, I'm a newbie, not working yet but I have a 24ft 2008 Hino 268A box truck with a tuck away lift gate. I've been getting much needed advice on the industry as a whole for the past year and some months from friends and others in this industry and I'm extremely grateful for it.

But I've hit a bit of a wall. I'm currently trying to negotiate with businesses somewhat locally but most reside some 50 plus miles away. I know I cant include that in my bid I just have to eat that money/gas unless its further away. But with that aside, how would I price customers? Gas based or other?

And if its gas based, how do I include all of my other expenses? I know for most of you guys its easy but for some of us newbies its a challenge.

Thank you all for any advice or help you can extend towards me in advance, I can use any that you have.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Do you have authority ? Insurance ? Ifta ?
Why not lease to a carrier as you learn the business ?

Welcome to the forum. Good Luck.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Gas money? You have a straight truck with a gasser? Or you just call it gas money? And everything zorry asked is important.

JonH

Rookie Expediter
Do you have authority ? Insurance ? Ifta ?
Why not lease to a carrier as you learn the business ?

Welcome to the forum. Good Luck.

Yes zorry, I have my DOT/MC/INTERSTATE, no CDL and yes I have insurance. When you say lease on to a company what does that mean? An whats IFTA?

JonH

Rookie Expediter
Yes Daffy I have a straight box truck 2008 Hino 268A. No I was just mentioning gas money and having to incorporate that into my sales bid on jobs. Im still trying to learn the business side. I used to be in construction and did estimates on jobs, I need a break down of it all. Any websites or anything I can check out that could help me out?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Jon, you are far from ready to price services.
Leasing to a company is like going to work for Panther while you learn the business. Or even a local cartage/air freight company.
Let them handle all the legal stuff. Pricing and collections.
After you learn more you can venture out on your own.
IFTA is a multi-state fuel tax payment plan.
Is your truck rated at 25,999 gvw or less ?
If so, it doesn't apply.
Your gvw will be on your door jamb sticker .
What area do you plan to run ?

JonH

Rookie Expediter
Jon, you are far from ready to price services.
Leasing to a company is like going to work for Panther while you learn the business. Or even a local cartage/air freight company.
Let them handle all the legal stuff. Pricing and collections.
After you learn more you can venture out on your own.
IFTA is a multi-state fuel tax payment plan.
Is your truck rated at 25,999 gvw or less ?
If so, it doesn't apply.
Your gvw will be on your door jamb sticker .
What area do you plan to run ?

Yes my truck is rated at 25,950 gvw. And I plan to run out of NJ then make my way out. Start local then branch out. Any suggestions on anything?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Do you have a sleeper ?
Are you trying to get home very often ?
Do you know how to do logbook ?
How much insurance do you have ?

JonH

Rookie Expediter
No I dont have a sleeper. Yes I'd like to be home very often, home every night if possible. Yes I know how to do a log book its very simple. And I just lowered my insurance on the truck because it was too high being that I'm not working on the truck yet but I will adjust it when that time comes

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You will have cargo and liability ? Like $400 per month ? In addition to coverage of the vehicle.

JonH

Rookie Expediter
You will have cargo and liability ? Like $400 per month ? In addition to coverage of the vehicle.

Yes cargo and liability, I'am fully covered.

Zorry since we last spoke I decided to link up with a big furniture store as a IC using my truck to make deliveries. I haven't signed on yet but I most likely will at the end of this week.

Smart move? They pay either by piece or by day. And you get your money every Friday. I just need to start working making money.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You'll work hard, make some money and learn.

My father put a straight on with a drugstore chain, 3 partial days per week.

Within 2 years we had almost all of their outbound freight, covering 34 states.

Look at this as an opportunity to expand; if nothing more than your knowledge and experience

You'll quickly learn how you wish you could price your services. Just keep your eyes and ears open for future opportunities

Get some business cards and don't leave home without them. . .

JonH

Rookie Expediter
You'll work hard, make some money and learn.

My father put a straight on with a drugstore chain, 3 partial days per week.

Within 2 years we had almost all of their outbound freight, covering 34 states.

Look at this as an opportunity to expand; if nothing more than your knowledge and experience

You'll quickly learn how you wish you could price your services. Just keep your eyes and ears open for future opportunities

Get some business cards and don't leave home without them. . .

That is so awesome Zorry, 34 states? Wow.. I don't want to cover almost all of the US but maybe my local area then expand out a little but keeping it controlled and simple. Id love to do something like that. Inbox me info on that bro if you could, I have some more stuff Id like to ask just not in this open forum Thanks! And I'm definitely getting business cards made!