Newbie questions (long)

ATCO

Expert Expediter
Hello Guys,
I have a few questions, questions I am sure have been asked (generally) before. However I was un-able to search for specific information. Right now, I am looking for ideas on my current plans as I lay them out below:

I am planing an LTL style Expediting company for Intrastate shipping in California (Based out of Bakersfield). I do not have an established customer base and have absolutly no intentions of using brokers or becoming an owner operator for a larger firm.

The goal is to provide LTL, pallatized shipping based on mileage pricing. I am familiar with many of the LTL carriers and their operations. I figure expediting for new customers should be as simple and straight foward as dealing with LTL companies.

I plan to operate a Straight truck with single drive under 26,000# GVW. I understand and have confirmed with the CHP commercial enforcment that a truck under CDL is allowed to operate at "Auto" speeds along with occuping the #1 lane (When there are more than 2 lanes). With the correct number of passengers, it may also occupy HOV lanes. Lastly I would not be required to carry a log book (No CDL). The only requirment is to carry a CA MCP #.

I am starting this business from scratch with pratically nothing. I am almost certainly going to have to buy a used truck. I have found one from a friend whom ownes a business that is willing to give the start I need. The problem is it's vintage iron. It is a 1979 International Loadstar diesel. It has a small block Detroit (un-known exactly what type). It is mated to a 5 speed and has relaitvly low miles (used locally). I am sure the motor would need to be gone through if not replaced my a high horse power/fuel eco friendly... Needless to say it would be work to get it built up to facilitate this duty, one chore I am willing to take on. The questions I have are below:

Sleeper or No Sleeper? I currently own a 60" KW Aerodyne II sleeper that would work well for this aplication. I have a hesitation of putting off-brand components together, in this case a KW Sleeper behind a International. But do most people realize these things anyways? What about a smaller "Old fashioned" sleeper? Being an Intrastate truck, and California being so big, it'd sure be nice to have sleeper...

Van Body or Flatbed? Ok, I know most everyone runs Vans, but I have 20" flatbed available to me, and under a set of circumstances (Sleeper/stretching frame etc.), could be an easy out. I have my issues with flats, as they are a hassel, but they are also verstle. One comoditly I expect to carry will be pipe (20' Lengths)... If I went with a Van, what is the recomended size? I mean how full do you guys get your vans, and what size do you run?

Stretching and bagging? I would like to build up a NICE truck, and the ultimate would be a Sleeper equiped truck with a 24' box. I would want airride everything. Building a truck from something used almost certainly is going to involve stretching, so any ideas/help/pointers? Where should you calculate the placement of the rear axle under the body? Whats the easiest/cheapest way to add air suspension? Should this even be of concern on a "first" truck, anotherwords put-up with until you can afford the dream truck?

I trully appreciate your time.
Thank You,
-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Joe don't screw around with used components,buy a new or used truck that already has built in what you need. A 1979 International that has an unkown engine??How reliable do you think that piece of iron(Rust) will be for you.Don't take offense but shippers know trucks and they want reliability.One breakdown for a shipper and you are outa of there. Look at the classified ads here and you can get all you need and have a truck that will roll for a while. Good luck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Starting a new company can be tough with limited or no capital. If on the west coast, I would look at freight forwarders or air freight out of LAX. It would be easier to adjust equipment requirements as you need to. Alot less capital and you will have access to a large customer base. Once you really know their needs, you can then proceed to trying some accounts on your own.
It will also be a major asset to you that you surround yourself with people that are experienced and know what they are doing.
Davekc

ATCO

Expert Expediter
>Joe don't screw around with used components,buy a new or
>used truck that already has built in what you need. A 1979
>International that has an unkown engine??How reliable do you
>think that piece of iron(Rust) will be for you.Don't take
>offense but shippers know trucks and they want
>reliability.One breakdown for a shipper and you are outa of
>there. Look at the classified ads here and you can get all
>you need and have a truck that will roll for a while. Good
>luck.

I appreciate your comments. In respect to the motor... I am right down the street from the Detroit service center. Basically my plan of attack was to take it to them, and see their thoughts on it. And have them refresh the motor if it was affordable. If not I'd look at new "crate" motors (ie: International 6.0)... It is basically beside the point. I am mechanically minded and realize which major components would need to be addressed to make a good running truck (Mind you it's used and I'm comparing it to used trucks.) Aside from that I'd much prefer to take in a NEW T300 spec'd specifically for my needs. I'm not sure I'm willing to take on payments on a new truck for a start up business... Once again I thank you for your comments, and I have/will take them into consideration, this is just some of the things I have thought to combat the general idea of old = bad.

I have no interest in working for another company. There are several reasons for this. The first is I have people willing to give me business (not regular), mostly Industrial supplies. Bakersfield is also host to oilfield related hot shot needs... I also have contacts with several LTL salemen whom are willing to give me the heads up on their customers needing Expedited service. Anotherwords, I believe I can build up a customer base here in Bakersfield, It's just not established yet.

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
Joe, If I were you I would check again about a CDL and logbook if your truck is over 10,000 lbs. Federal law outranks state law.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Silverdollar,

He's running Intrastate only. Rules are different.

Dreamer

ATCO

Expert Expediter
Van vs. Flat

I just wanted to focus on one particular part of my question, in hopes of getting a more specific response.

Van Body or Flatbed? Ok, I know most everyone runs Vans, but I have 20" flatbed available to me, and under a set of circumstances (Sleeper/stretching frame etc.), could be an easy out. I have my issues with flats, as they are a hassel, but they are also verstle. One comoditly I expect to carry will be pipe (20' Lengths)... If I went with a Van, what is the recomended size? I mean how full do you guys get your vans, and what size do you run?

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA