Newbie: Lurked for 6 months but have ???'s

Timmer

Active Expediter
Howdy everyone! I've been driving a desk for the last 20 years and am totally burned out on it. I am in the process of selling off some assets then I want to purchase a commercial vehicle and hit the road.

I have a class A CDL that I have never used professionally and my wife has a commercial DL and she wants to drive too so I'm thinking Sprinter? But the sleeping arrangement's seem to be the biggest challenge.

I see guys post really cool ideas regarding a home made sleeper in cube/unicells but my understanding is that a vehicle with a gvwr of 10,001 and up has to have a DOT approved sleeper. Most of the cubes seem to run 12,000 gvwr and up... any thoughts on that?

Also any input regarding a newbie entry level vehicle/job would be appreciated.

Also, I don't see much concern regarding a 3/4 ton sprinter vs. a full ton. Size seems to matter most ;) but payload capacity is not a problem???

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi and welcome.

If your lookinginto a sprinter I would recomend a 1 ton Cargovan or Cubie. Chevy, Ford, Mopar all the same. Sprinters are made by Mercedes and you will know that as soon as you need parts or service. For the most part Gasoline engines are best for vans. Cheaper to maintain and easier to service and get parts. Get one with an 8 cylinder GM 350, Ford 351, Mopar 318 or 360. Im old school so you will need to find the liter displacement.
You dont need a big block.
Cube vans a 12 foot or 16 foot you can convert into a nice sleeper and have plenty of cargo room.
Just remember, to keep at least 8 or 9 feet for freight. Most 12 foot cubies without any mods can payload 4,000 lbs so after you build a sleeper you should have no problem. Just watch the axle weights so you dont run over.

Feel free to shoot me a Private message if you have any questions.
Bob Wolf

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Idk about your starting capital, but if your going to invest in a Sprinter, I would wait a few months for the Ram Promaster or the Ford Transit. These vehicles will leave recent Sprinter buyers with severe cases of buyers remorse..im suspecting a few suicides..especially North of the border.

Last edited:

Timmer

Active Expediter
Hi and welcome.

If your lookinginto a sprinter I would recomend a 1 ton Cargovan or Cubie. Chevy, Ford, Mopar all the same. Sprinters are made by Mercedes and you will know that as soon as you need parts or service. For the most part Gasoline engines are best for vans. Cheaper to maintain and easier to service and get parts. Get one with an 8 cylinder GM 350, Ford 351, Mopar 318 or 360. Im old school so you will need to find the liter displacement.
Cube vans a 12 foot or 16 foot you can convert into a nice sleeper and have plenty of cargo room.
Just remember, to keep at least 8 or 9 feet for freight. Most 12 foot cubies without any mods can payload 4,000 lbs so after you build a sleeper you should have no problem. Just watch the axle weights so you dont run over.

Bob Wolf

Thanks guys, I'll pm you Bob (when I figure out how to navigate this site)
Any thoughts regarding a Non DOT sleeper in a truck that has a gvwr over 10,000?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Since you have a class A i'd look into a straight truck.
With modern auto- trans they are very easy to drive.
You and the wife will be much more comfortable
If you're comfortable you'll enjoy the whole experience better.
Drive a fleet truck for an owner. Find out if this is for you before you spend your money.
A year down the road, if you enjoy this, jump into a company sprinter. If you don't strangle each other,start shopping for your own.
Just one man's opinion. .

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Welcome! We're glad you have left the Lurkers! We invite others to do the same!!

In almost all circumstances a husband/wife team will make much more money driving team in a Straight Truck as opposed to a team in a van. Please give that some serious consideration.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would suggest that you don't buy ANY kind of truck for the first year. You may find that you hate the lifestyle and then are stuck. Drive for an owner for a year or two first.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi and welcome.

Bob Wolf

None of those engines you recommend have been available for over 10 years.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My wife,sister,and daughter all went from an office environment to straight truck and all really enjoy it.

Timmer

Active Expediter
I like it... Now what about CDL vs non CDL straight? The wife has a chauffeurs dl so she could legally drive a straight under 26,000 gvwr...

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You can check with local community colleges and your local dept of workforce development.
A real truck driving school was $4200.00
I was ready to write a check when I called a community college.
Within days we had a grant from the state for $4200.
I got lucky.
My wife got her class A. Experienced the joys of being a rookie with a 53 footer.
Maybe that's why she loves the straight.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I like it... Now what about CDL vs non CDL straight? The wife has a chauffeurs dl so she could legally drive a straight under 26,000 gvwr...

I do not know this for a fact but from what I have seen I don't think you find a reputable company that would allow her to drive a straight truck, even under 26k without a class B. There are many cheap driving schools for class B that can have her pass a road test in a matter of days. You may want to look outside your current state of residency, there is a community college in VA that will do it in 4 days but she would need to have her permit for 30 days first. I believe it cost $1300.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
She may get by with studying, taking the written tests.
Then borrow or rent a straight truck and have her pass the CDL test.
Run this scenario past a recruiter or two.
Even if you run solo with her as a passenger/ trainee you'll come out money ahead.