NEWBIE ALERT~What Happens to your load when Sick or Truck Breaks Down?

jackieg

Active Expediter
One of those questions I just cant find an answer to... If Sickness or even our Truck breaking down causes a delay (or Worse?!) How is that situation handled? Thanks for your help!!!

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
1- if happens before u accept a load...go out if service
2- if happens while loaded...dispatch will work with u to either get load transferred or towed to drop..both at Your cost

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe it comes down to the carrier you are leased to. I have had two instances where I was unable to complete a delivery. Once I hit a deer while underload. The carrier got a wrecker dispatched and my van was towed a few miles to a truck stop where I was met by a team in a D unit that deadheaded about 100 miles and we swapped the load. The carrier paid on a percentage basis and had a standing guarentee in their tarrifs that a load more than 4 hours late was free. 59% of nothing is nothing. The team assured me they would make the delivery on time. They did. I got paid for the portion of the load I ran and no wrecker bill.

Under load with a different carrier my alternator went out. I was about 70 miles and one international border away from the consignee, with 11 hours before delivery. The carrier dinked around but I did make the delivery, 2 hours late. A few days later I got a threatening E-mail from the carrier outlining how they would take weekly deductions from my settlement until the $900 dollar wrecker bill was paid. Initially I planned on going halvies for the bill. But because of the carrier's bungling of the whole situation and the nasty-gram, I told them to stick it and even posted the E-mail here on E.O. I never heard another thing about it and there were no settlement deductions. I'm still with that carrier although they will probably attach my escrow when the time comes.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My carrier covers the wrecker bill while under a load.
They often will tow you to the delivery so the customer gets the service they deserve.
Or they tow you wherever is in the best interest of the customer.
The carrier covers the cost because they remain in control until your truck is empty.
Once empty,you are on your own.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
FIRST thing to do is call dispatch (no brainer), they should take control and let you know what they want done. I got sick one time just outside of Detroit. Had just loaded, headed to S.c. for a next day drop, left the shipper and had gone about 50 miles into the run. Had some cardiac problems that landed me in the hospital for 2 days. My wife called dispatch after calling 911 and getting an ambulance on the way and they sent a relief driver out to where the truck was and he took it back to the shipper. Don't know what happened to it after that. But trust me, dispatch has one priority, that load and only that load. What happens to you is your problem basically.
thank you!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FIRST thing to do is call dispatch (no brainer), they should take control and let you know what they want done.
They should but...I'm sticking with the very first sentence I typed in post #4: I believe it comes down to the carrier you are leased to.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They should but...I'm sticking with the very first sentence I typed in post #4: I believe it comes down to the carrier you are leased to.

Make that your signature. It'll save you having to use the dopey italics.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dopey italics? I quoted myself and denoted it with italics. I'm Catholic, I don't want to go blind by my own hand. I think quoting one's self is a mortal sin. I figured the italics would save me. Hate to splash Holy Water on my monitor.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As an Owner Opperator it depends on the customer and the load details. In the case with an under load breakdown.

First call your customer, load broker, carrier, and/or fleet owner and ask them what they want you to do. Dont jusk "What do I do?" Give them the following options

1) Tow the truck to a shop, Tranfer to a rent a wreck, as soon as you can get one and finnish the job.
2) Pay serious bucks to have the truck repaired if you cannot find a replacement vehical.
3) Eat the cost to hire annother company to cover the run knowing in most cases it will be more expensive than doing it myself.
4) Be prepared to discount the rate in order to satisfy the customer and compensate him/her for the inconvience for the delay.

I had one situation where the customer had annother truck and it was a mater of transfering the load over. Luckily, I broke down less than a mile away. It still cost me 100 bucks that blew my paycheck for the job but Everyone was happy and the job got done.

Either way it will cost you time and money, and you need to be in good comunication with your customer, load broker, carrier, and/or fleet owner and follow THIER DIRRECTIONS .

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you're leased to a carrier I'd say call the Carrier. Never contact the shipper or receiver unless told to by the carrier.

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Once you say yes to dispatch the load is yours, Win, lose or draw. Your job is to get the load there on time.

Access your situation...if you can finish the run with no further damage to truck...do so...

If truck will be damaged further...(or your health..) Call dispatch inform of situation and make arrangements for a rescue truck...You will almost always lose that portion of the run you could not complete...sometimes more if costs to carrier or broker are excessive...

Get your truck fixed asap...the down time is what really costs the money...

Make these decisions quickly so there is time to get the best solution into action..The expeditors creed is, and always will be..

"If you can't be on time.....be early"