Newbees, Do What LDB Says

GR8C5

Seasoned Expediter
Greeting All!

I took LDB’s recommendation to review a year’s worth of posts on this forum – thanks LDB!

I have invested hours and hours fruitfully. All who want to consider expediting must follow LDB’s recommendation.

I expect that I will be flamed by some for my comments. I mean no disrespect to anyone. I wish all who read this the very best of luck from the bottom of my heart. If I missed something, by all means, set me straight!

I am humble before you all.

I am a dreamer but I am a number’s guy first. For other dreamers and number crunchers who are reading this, trudge on. For those of you who are successful in this industry, read this with the knowing perspective that your efforts have saved one fool (me) from being parted from his money – I’m eternally grateful to you for your insight and wisdom. Thank you one and all!

To summarize, I can see that there isn’t enough money in this business to warrant the investment of my hard earned dollars much less to walk away from my home life. I don’t mind hard work and long hours – but, I’ve always believed that I must be paid commensurate with my hard work and results whether I work for others or for myself.

I am thankful to all those who poured out their hearts and souls trying to figure out how to either explain expediting or run it profitably. To all of you, I give you my undying gratitude for setting me straight on the realities of the expediting business.

Here are my observations after doing my diligence here.

For these seeking a new career after having or loosing an earlier one, the best way to approach this industry is as a paid tourist. People spend $90,000 to $300,000 on motor homes all the time. There’s no further justification needed. Go where you want, when you want. There’s no trying to justify that decision using a business plan. The return of investment and return on investment numbers are meaningless. Cash flow – who cares!

Big truck people looked down on lowly vans at $0.80 per mile revenue and an initial investment of $24,000 while touting the $1.20 per mile revenue (plus fuel allowances) with a vehicle that is $90,000+. I never saw a real Profit and Loss statement or a Balance Sheet to substantiate the $1.20 revenue benefit coupled with the $90,000* investment. Certainly, a pair of paid tourists can do better than one.

As was said again and again, the expediter career is more about a life style than making money.

I am looking for a new career to put $4575 per month in my pocket after expenses. This was the starting point of my business plan. Try as I might, I saw no way that expediting can get me there after 24 months. All I could see was buying a debt. A business plan where you start in a hole and try to drive yourself out is beyond me.

But, you blessed expediters… Hope springs eternal.

I have always looked at businesses very simply –

First, you’re either making something or selling something.

Second, it’s not what you make but what you keep that counts.

I have owned two businesses and been an engineering manager for 15 years. All I can see is a group of people who have been convinced by some big companies to shoulder all the burden of the hugely expensive (to buy and to own) rolling stock and then shackle themselves to a steering wheel to make pennies on their hard earned or borrowed dollars.

And, all this while being saddled with more rules and regulations than God’s got stars!

I have been on the engineering side of things when parts had to be delivered yesterday or sooner - so I understand that the market will always be there.

To be sure, I admire everyone who posted any comments. I also know there are those who do make a “decent†living at expediting. But, I didn’t get any solid idea of how much money was really made. I didn’t see a real business plan that I could use as a pro forma, My sense is that there is more myth than reality in expediting. Kind of like fishing.

My favorite individual was the man who figured out that expediting was better as a part time venture to be supplemented with gambling income! Wow!

I know there are those who make it big as gamblers – I also know of a couple of race car drivers and team owners who are millionaires. Percentage wise, they almost can’t be measured compared to all those who have dreams of making it big.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the idea of expediting. I love the idea of being a rolling ambulance for critical parts. But, I must make $4575 per month in my pocket or I may as well buy a motor home and be a tourist.

Thank you all for helping me to understand that the life of an expediter is not for me!

Good luck and my best wishes to you all!

And, like we used to say at the race track – keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down!

To you all, be safe and thanks!

Thanks,

GR8C5:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm glad you found the information you needed to make the correct decision for you. There is far more than can be shared in a few questions and answers. There are many questions one doesn't even know to ask without fairly significant study. I guess I look like a meanie to some when my response is to read back but there's a good reason for it. Best of luck in whatever you find to do.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I see no reason someone should flame you.
I applaud you for taking the time to do the necessary research to determine if it would be the right career move for you.
It is a business that requires alot of considerations and investments that one shouldn't take lightly.
It is refreshing as well that someone is looking at it like a business rather than being taken in by a bunch of flowery stories, only to later regret jumping in.
Thanks again for taking the time to check out the opportunities.
That is what makes EO such a fantastic resource.
Good luck

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Gener8

Expert Expediter
If you had come to this site afew years ago The outcome of your search may have been different. But I have to agree with you. The profit in this business has deteriorated. There just is no profit left anymore. I applaud your research and honesty. Good luck in future endeavors.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm glad that someone is using a bit of wisdom and research to determine that this field isn't right for them. Looking at the classifieds, there's a new Sterling for sale by someone who decided it's not right for them after only a month. I hate to see despair like that after such an investment. :(

Since I was out of expediting in 2000, how does this stagnant era compare with that of '00 to '02?

RonnieJ

Seasoned Expediter
This is us....read, read, and more reading.
Our notebook is getting huge
Also thanks for all the help so many are giving us.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Flame you, your darn right HOW DARE YOU TELL THE HONEST TRUTH OF ALL OF YOUR FINDINGS. Someone who actually researched and came up with a decision. Congrats, sorry this is your findings but your more correct than incorrect.

The only way I see that one can continue in this industry is if your in a PAID FOR TRUCK. That I mean a dependable paid for truck not a twenty thousand dollar truck but a very good reliable one, bank that $ that would go for payments and put it into another one when repairs become to costly.

My last post was from an owner who has just had enough success to think they want another truck. Read this guys post think your smarter than the ODDS?

I truley enjoy what I do, I truley dispise sitting what a waist of my time when I could be productive. Thats expediting, and I am probably busier than most. If I could have seen in the crystal ball even as successfull as I have been I doubt I would have choosen this path, as he stated the Govt has more restrictions on us and I always have this rock in my belly worrying about what he stated in his writings. I think this says alot for all of the HIPE I have been reading over the last two months on what a glory this business has been for one owner.

My #s are in line or even a little better than last year (I just feel I am not doing as well) but the reason is I am, is because I am staying out here longer, I have had one full week (8 days) at home since the end - middle of June. July was in my opinion very bad.

Until fuel prices start driving out some over extended highly financed owners things are not gona improve, we have a stagnet economy that has been very resiliant but I feel its gona hurt many of homeowners who have over extened themselves resulting in less freight all around. You had better not be over financed in the next few years if your planing on staying in this for the long haul.

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Right on Broompilot!!! That is why I got out after 2-3 months and a net of 7cpm. I was hurt somewhat financially, but not as bad as I could have been. Diesel was still less that $2.00 per gallon, and I was able to unload the van, tho at a loss. (Why do I still want to do this?) Driving a school bus now, kids will always have to go to school.

Regards

Doowop

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
DooWop, could you do us all a favor and start a new post and just list your expierences, your excitment starting and what you feel made it unsuccessfull for you. I would appriciate it.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
We also tok LDB's advice nearly three years ago. We researched and studied for 7 months before attending orientation.

Unlike many others we have never looked back.

Outside of the first time buyer truck purchase fiasco everything has worked out well. We traded the truck after one year and have recovered nicely with the help of a new commercial loan program through our Credit Union.

In any event LDB did give some good advice.

Rollo

Seasoned Expediter
It is refreshing to have this dialog for other newbies to see. I also started in expediting only a few years ago. Having been my own boss in all of my careers, it is one of the few left for those of us entering with no large income requirements. After three years and no more invested than $9k for a four year old c-van, I am learning to enjoy my freedoms. I have adopted a business plan that starts from the "time-off" needs of a retirement life and no real income goals. In slow times I manage to take three weeks off in five; busier months, I may work two weeks and take one week off. I communicate this up front to my company and no one seems to make a big deal of it.

Last year, I was able to have 15 weeks off and still net about $24k for my efforts. Not bad as a supplement to my retirement savings, social security, and two small pensions. As long as this work does not impact my health adversly, I will continue to be happier than in my careers as a CPA; management consultant; business owner, and financial planner.

Good luck to all of you hard working drivers. Is is possible that we may all benefit from those leaving the field in the near future and impacting the cheap freight bids that I keep hearing about. Looking forward to meeting many of you on the roads, but not until I get my other interests of writing a novel and teaching my grand children more about life's lessons in return for the richness that they have imparted to my life by being able to spend lots of time with them.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
We have our own fleet and customers, and thus do not march to the beat of any company other than our own; however, we do march to the beat of the numerous regulations.

For the most part the fleet consists of tractors with sleepers pulling b-trains loaded with wood chips. That is steady consistent regional work. Nicole and myself operate the only "motorhome" unit in the fleet where we deal with specialized/emergency type freight. Customer service and satisfaction are our core values and what we believe to be a key component to doing business.

As a whole in terms of the fleet, we do generate revenue consistently. However, often decisions are made to accept a loss with the "motorhome" for other considerations.