New V.A. Clinic

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Toledo Ohio is breaking ground for a new and improved V.A. Clinic on Detroit Ave. The new clinic will have numerous and newer services for the Vets to get their treatments faster which is a good thing!:):)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Toledo Ohio is breaking ground for a new and improved V.A. Clinic on Detroit Ave. The new clinic will have numerous and newer services for the Vets to get their treatments faster which is a good thing!:):)

whaaaaaaaat is the definition of faster, my meds come in the mail and I never wait over 15 min to see the doc. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
whaaaaaaaat is the definition of faster, my meds come in the mail and I never wait over 15 min to see the doc. :D

Some of the clinics as the VA can be REALLY slow. It can take a month or longer to see an eye doctor. There are LONG waits for many with replacement limbs and the care is marginal in many cases. Treatment for head injuries is also NOT keeping up with the demand.

I have no complaints. I receive my meds by mail and hardly ever wait to see my doctor once I get an appointment. I do have to set up my appointments a month in advance though. That is for my primary care doctor. It took 4 MONTHS to get my surgery set up last year.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just go once a year or so,,Im in good health at the moment

I go twice a year. Just for an oil change and lube. I do get my glasses there. That is a slow process. It takes a month to get an appointment and then it is almost always an all day affair.

Same with the audioligy department. My hearing loss is due to my military MOS so I get my hearing aids there. Again, I have to make appointments a month or two out. They are better at getting you in on time than the eye clinic is.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I see my primary care every 4 months. When I broke my leg in New Orleans on the 5th if January, we were scheduled to fly back on the 6th. I called to see my primary care. Was told he was booked up for 2 months and to go to the ER at the VA upon arrival. Got there about 9 pm. They did xrays, CT scans and EKG. Left about midnight and instructed to go to orthopedics in the morning at 9 AM. Got seen by a orthopedic surgeon about 1100. Got my instructions. Went every 2 weeks for xrays and ortho surgeon appointment. Now down to 3 week appointments.

2 problems.

1st. Most of the orthopedic surgeons come from the Univ. Of Maryland med school next door. Which I didn't know. After the first 3 visits (6 weeks) I got a new doctor as they rotate out every 10 weeks. There are permanent staff, but those appointments are reserved for the more severe cases. The second Dr I was not impressed with. Didn't even know how to put on the hinge cast.

2. Had an appointment with my primary care Dr on the 21st. When he walked into the room and saw the crutches and the hinge brace, his jaw hit the floor. Then it took him 30 minutes to go over the med records on the computer. Because of the case loads, primaries at this hospital in downtown Baltimore don't read emails. Never have gotten any of my returned and he would not have been surprised. He has been at that VA hospital for 25 years.

It is touted as one of the best in the system, that's why I go there and is close to me. About a 15 minute drive. I am having 2nd thoughts tho of this facility. I could go to Perryhall where everything would be faster, but they don't have everything there.

I get my med in the mail also.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many, if not most, of the VA hospitals are tied in with teaching hospitals. It is not out of the ordinary to have student doctors. My surgery was done by one. There is always a REAL doctor supervising.

I have been lucky. My father and I have both had the same primary care doctor since 2000. Even that is not the norm. When I went to the Erie PA VA I had a new primary care doctor every visit.

I got to the Ann Arbor, MI VA now. It is tied in with the University of Michigan medical school.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many, if not most, of the VA hospitals are tied in with teaching hospitals. It is not out of the ordinary to have student doctors. My surgery was done by one. There is always a REAL doctor supervising.

I have been lucky. My father and I have both had the same primary care doctor since 2000. Even that is not the norm. When I went to the Erie PA VA I had a new primary care doctor every visit.

I got to the Ann Arbor, MI VA now. It is tied in with the University of Michigan medical school.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I have been going to the same VA in Augusta ga since being shot down and med e vac back from VN 1970. I have never had a problem with the VA and my doctors have been great. The only problem with the VA is the record keeping. They told me I needed to update my Medical Card Id, so I did. Since then I have been receiving two other veterans information and mine have been going up country somewhere. I drove the 40 miles to the hospital to talk to the administrator and she laughed about it saying, "Oh don't worry no one hear will use your info". I didn't say another word, I walked out and drove 80 miles to my Senator Lindsey Grahams office and told the lady the problem and she looked at me like you are kidding aren't you? Lady if you can't fix it, my attorney can. It was fixed the next day.:cool:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have no problems with the VA. You just have to accept it for what it is. I have not had a problem with my records, yet. Ann Arbor VA is "special". It is one of a couple of "test" hospitals that are working on a new records system. So far it has worked quite well. I have been able to access my records in 2 other cities since I have been on the road.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone used the eHealtheVet online to access their medical records?

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.