New Topic from "Introductions Anyone

G

I didn't want to "clutter" up the "Introductions Anyone" thread, so am starting a new topic.

Thanks to "The X" & "Jim" for your comments on whether or not my hubby and I should go expedited or semi.

We're leaning toward expedited. I just can't get a feel for who do drive with. Do expedited companies have benefits? Can you take pets? (We have a 13 yr. old White Shepherd, very laid back). We're wanting to attend a Truck Driving School preferably in TN. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Which companies have the most miles, best dispatchers, etc?

Thanks a bunch!

Suz

G

RE: New Topic from

Ok SUZ you don't realize the can of beans you just opened with that question!!! lol! Yes, you can take your hound dog with you - because all reputable expedite companies are all owner operators. So you pretty much got to plan on buying a truck. Unless you want to run for "Honest Vinny's Laundry & Expediting Service"!!! lol. Anywho - the company you pick - well there has been MUCH debate about that on this board before it was NICELY relocated.

I say the bigger you are...the more chances you will have in getting a backhaul....and that is where you make the BUCKS - NOT THE HEADHAUL. 10-FER! So Roberts, Tri-State, Conway Now, Land Star, Thompson Emergency, Pronto, TST etc etc etc.

cj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

One company to stay away from IMHO is CTX!!!!!!

G

You are asking questions that dont pretain to expediting.Most miles and dipatchers arent the same as in big trucks. I am with landstar and we have about 30 express centers, you call the couple that you are closest to then the others get your locvtation off the computer and call you when they have a load in your area. The miles that you drive arent that important. You can get a load going 200 miles that will pay the truck 220 to 300 dollars, so the distance is irrelivent, just hopefully you are headed to a good area !!!best of luck to you with whatever company that you go with, but do one important thing, alot of research into each company and decide which one is best for you. There are alot of unhappy people in this business but they bring it on themselves so make sure that you like the way the company you go with suits the way you want to run your business

G

Thanks to all for comments so far . . .

We don't plan to become o/o's until hubby and I get experience (smart?). So like Dwight said, we'll be put in touch with o/o's in our area, etc.

What are some specific questions to ask Expediter companies?

Home time is not a big deal for us, and we'd like as many miles as possible.

Does it pay by mile or load? What would be considered a "good" run?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but being the newbies that we are, we'll look to your experience. I know we'll hear good and bad about any company, and will have to make up our own minds, but knowing WHAT to ask them will help.

ANY and all advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Suz