New to the site - doing research

smokeybandit23

New Recruit
Researching
Hey all,

I'm in a peculiar scenario where I am both a potential trucker and a (semi) professional writer. I want to research some companies, types of haulsm, etc. - but I want to know what questions I should be asking myself prior to to researching anything.

Regarding the writer aspect - I want to start generating some articles and blog posts about issues and industry valeus that truckers care about. Any suggestions? I'll take 'em all into consideration.

Thanks!

- JT

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
Would you also have any tips on writing? I happen to have a mix of commercial driving experience and an Associates Degree. I mostly went for computer stuff, but I did really well in my English Comp. courses. Should a beginner try creating a portfolio and get on a freelancer site like Upwork?

As for driving, the Expedite world has Cargo Vans or Sprinter Vans, Straight Trucks, and full size Semi-Trucks. The Vans can't hold as much freight, but they have an advantage of not having to follow a logbook, can skip past Weigh Stations, and have more options for parking. The big trucks have to follow more rules and also face a parking shortage which myself and many others find very frustrating. I'm sure that's why many people come here interested in the vans, but some would say to many are coming in and saturating the industry. I do think there are alternative van jobs depending on what city you're in such as local Couriers. I think CEVA Logistics does a bit of both.

Otherwise, you can try going to a regular trucking carrier and for researching that I'd recommend the forum at thetruckersreport.com

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I guess the first question you should ask yourself is, "What exactly is expediting, and how is it different from regular trucking, and what exactly do I expect to glean from these expediting forums that I can't from all of the other trucking forums that I've recently registered with?" Maybe that's three questions.

smokeybandit23

New Recruit
Researching
Hey Videodrome -

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely look into those companies as well as truckersreport.

As far as writing tips go, I'm happy to share my experiences. I would absolutely reccomend creating any sort of online portfolio to display your writing. Upworthy is a great site, but generally those looking to hire are seeking someone with some level of semi-professional/professional experience. In order to get this you need a gig... it's a vicious cycle. To get around this, however, I would suggest going to blogs, smaller online news outlets, or any sort of online magazine with an emphasis in a field that interests you and pitch some article ideas to them. After you accrue some of those (paid or not, mostly unpaid at the beginning, that's what entices publishers to allow you to contribute) then you can compile a portfolio. What are some of your interests or hobbies? Or, better put, what would you like to write about?

smokeybandit23

New Recruit
Researching
I guess the first question you should ask yourself is, "What exactly is expediting, and how is it different from regular trucking, and what exactly do I expect to glean from these expediting forums that I can't from all of the other trucking forums that I've recently registered with?" Maybe that's three questions.

And thanks, Turtle. Excellent starting place.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Writers read, read and read some more. There is no better place to gain a sense of what Expediting is all about, and what the hot topics are, than right here at ExpeditersOnline.com.

When Diane and I were brand-new to trucking and began to research this industry, I read every post in every EO forum going back two years, and I read countless articles that were published on this web site. I also read the latest issues and several back issues of popular trucking publications (Land Line, Overdrive, Transport Topics, etc.) Every time a new word or concept surfaced that I knew nothing about, I wrote it down as a topic for future study. As I continued to read, many of those items became familiar.

It was a long list at first. When we first became interested in trucking, Diane and I literally did not know the difference between a Freightliner and a load bar. Had someone said "pickle park" to us, our minds would have gone to a community garden of some sort. We did not know what CDL meant. Until we looked into it, it never occurred to us that some truck drivers work at night.

This study method yielded great insight into the business. It enabled Diane and me to learn from the mistakes of others instead of learning from our own. While some of our lessons were learned in the school of hard knocks; our extensive, intentional and focused reading enabled us to learn many lessons pain-free. The knowledge we brought to the business enabled us to immediately produce at top-earner levels.

If you read, read, and read some more, and note the many words and concepts that will require future study, the topics you may wish to write about will suggest themselves. You will also gain a broader sense of the industry and the expediting lifestyle, which will enable you to write with greater credibility that you might otherwise have.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The more you read the better prepared you will be. Read not just about expediting but about the truck industry. Run down to your local truck stop and pickup the free magazines and subscribe to the free emails.

First you will have to realize to make money in this business your screen name after the movie was not a documentary.

smokeybandit23

New Recruit
Researching
^Ha! Good point

But in all seriousness, I will have to take your advice in visiting a stop. Good a place as any to get some literature on the subject. Thanks!

smokeybandit23

New Recruit
Researching
Would you also have any tips on writing? I happen to have a mix of commercial driving experience and an Associates Degree. I mostly went for computer stuff, but I did really well in my English Comp. courses. Should a beginner try creating a portfolio and get on a freelancer site like Upwork?

As for driving, the Expedite world has Cargo Vans or Sprinter Vans, Straight Trucks, and full size Semi-Trucks. The Vans can't hold as much freight, but they have an advantage of not having to follow a logbook, can skip past Weigh Stations, and have more options for parking. The big trucks have to follow more rules and also face a parking shortage which myself and many others find very frustrating. I'm sure that's why many people come here interested in the vans, but some would say to many are coming in and saturating the industry. I do think there are alternative van jobs depending on what city you're in such as local Couriers. I think CEVA Logistics does a bit of both.

Otherwise, you can try going to a regular trucking carrier and for researching that I'd recommend the forum at thetruckersreport.com
Did the above help at all? I'd be happy to share more of what I know with you if you would like.

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
Did the above help at all? I'd be happy to share more of what I know with you if you would like.

I've been to busy at the moment to do any writing. For now, I'm researching site like Expediters Online or The Truckers Report to get myself into any kind of regular work, but would eventually like to dabble in things like writing on the side once I have a regular income.

smokeybandit23

New Recruit
Researching
I've been to busy at the moment to do any writing. For now, I'm researching site like Expediters Online or The Truckers Report to get myself into any kind of regular work, but would eventually like to dabble in things like writing on the side once I have a regular income.

Totally understood. I believe on Trucker's Report they may even alow some outside submissions if you're interested in contributing to them, but I'm not 100% certain on that. (It doesn't hurt to check, regardless.) I suppose that really goes for any site - keep bugging them with submissions until they get back to you/and or post!