New to the Game

29GHOST

Rookie Expediter
How does one compete with hiring new drivers when these large companies are offering all these large bonuses and promising people the world.

I know I have stepped into a world that I did not completely understand, but I thought I would catch on quickly. I have had my ups and downs but I have learned a lot. Expediting is harder then one would think you have to know the freight zones you have to know how to play the game.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
How does one compete with hiring new drivers when these large companies are offering all these large bonuses and promising people the world.

I know I have stepped into a world that I did not completely understand, but I thought I would catch on quickly. I have had my ups and downs but I have learned a lot. Expediting is harder then one would think you have to know the freight zones you have to know how to play the game.

What large companies do you mean and what is a large bonus to you? I assume you have a truck your trying to get drivers for? Is it a surface or white glove truck? How long have you been trying to put drivers in your truck? It takes a little time to put them in, don't get real discouraged.

29GHOST

Rookie Expediter
Yes, I am trying to put a driver in the truck. I am running surface in a dry box. I was looking at all the ads that us express and all the other large companies have and what they are offering. After reading those ads almost feels like I don't stand a chance. I am keeping my head up and running what I can.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just post an add in the "free classifieds" in here and see what happens. How much experience do you have in this business?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Yes, I am trying to put a driver in the truck. I am running surface in a dry box. I was looking at all the ads that us express and all the other large companies have and what they are offering. After reading those ads almost feels like I don't stand a chance. I am keeping my head up and running what I can.

Also, when reading the advertisements don't get too confused. There are 2 types of ads on this website. One is going after fleet owners and owner operators. They usually have the large bonuses to entice you to move your truck over to them. The second type of ad is trying to get people to drive for these fleet owners such as yourself. I rarely see a bonus over $1,000 for a qualified team and a lot of owners don't offer those bonuses anyways.

I would caution you though. If a team comes to you to drive and asks for a $1,000 bonus and you can't afford to give that to them because money is so tight you may want to reconsider being a fleet owner at this time. It takes a lot of upfront capital to get a truck moving from the time you get a team to getting the truck on it's first run.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
And I'm not saying you have to give them the bonus. We do not offer a bonus going into a white glove truck, and you may find a team that's fresh and inexperienced and you don't have to give them a sign on bonus. I'm just saying make sure it's not because you don't have $1,000 in the bank.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
Yeah the bonuses for a team coming into your truck offered by owners is usualy for these reasons.
!. The company has really slow freight ie low pay to the drivers.
2. They try and entice drivers to drive older trucks which break down alot ie no money while your sitting.
Smart savy drivers know these tactics know the business and these are the ones you want driving your truck. They make money you make money.

Also don't shy away from checking potential drivers out through prior owners. Maybe take what they say with a grain of salt. You can do the owners right all down the line and leave for a varity of reasons. Some will shoot you honest others will badmouth.

Lastly I know you want drivers in a truck asap but try and get someone who can produce results. If they don't sound like a good choice look around further. Isn't FedEx giving you a list of numbers for qualified drivers? Maybe call in and see if you can get a list.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Yeah the bonuses for a team coming into your truck offered by owners is usualy for these reasons.
!. The company has really slow freight ie low pay to the drivers.
2. They try and entice drivers to drive older trucks which break down alot ie no money while your sitting.
Smart savy drivers know these tactics know the business and these are the ones you want driving your truck. They make money you make money.

Also don't shy away from checking potential drivers out through prior owners. Maybe take what they say with a grain of salt. You can do the owners right all down the line and leave for a varity of reasons. Some will shoot you honest others will badmouth.

Lastly I know you want drivers in a truck asap but try and get someone who can produce results. If they don't sound like a good choice look around further. Isn't FedEx giving you a list of numbers for qualified drivers? Maybe call in and see if you can get a list.

Fedex quit giving out a list of qualified drivers. Now they have partnered up with ng recruiting. $600/driver or $1200/team. It's insane.

I offer a bonus for my surface trucks because so many other people are offering them. I don't own crap trucks. It's just to stay in the market. We don't usually offer a bonus for the w/g reefer trucks though.