New to me 08 Hino 268

Britex

New Recruit
Researching
Hey there! Been reading and reading threads/posts on 08-10 268 Hino's and had a couple of questions.

Back story is my family picked up a 08 Hino 268 with 197k to use to move some of the family out of state, seems to run and drive pretty well but came with no service history.

I've been reading about common issues with the DPF setup and would like to look into replacing the temp sensor and cleaning the filter etc however can't for the life of me find anywhere with the temp sensors available for sale, where do folks go for their Hino parts?

Inside the drivers door jam there's a ton of Hino service stickers so I assume this things seen a dealer for maintenance is there anyway to find out what previous service or recall work this truck might have had?

One issue this truck has is that the cruise control doesn't work, if you hit the switch it flashes on and straight off again any thoughts of where to look?

There's a little oil leak which appears to be coming from the pan to block (its not above there at all) is that common on these things? Curious how hard a job it is to replace the pan gasket or reseal it?

I know this thing needs a oil/filter change and probably a fuel filter, how does one turn off the oil and fuel filter required on the maintenance screen once you've conducted the service?

Apologies for the somewhat silly questions I'm new to these things but not concerned about getting my hands dirty and working on anything.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are 2 Hino mechanics that browse the site, if you give them your VIN number they can look up any service history that was done at a dealership. Im sure one of them will be along soon.

As for the cruise control switch, I have seen that issue with a couple of the rentals I have driven, its weird but whats happening is that the switch is coming back and turning itself off. Push the rocker up to turn it on, but slowly leave let the switch return to the center position and see if it stays on.

I had an 05 and had to replace the oil pan gasket and it was pretty easy, I doubt it is much different on an 08.

The 05 didnt have the screens for maintenance so I am not sure on that, but that should be fairly easy to access.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Quickly. Temp sensors are available at any dealer. We have them in stock. A word of caution… the sensors love to get seized or break, so just be aware of that. Best way to test them is run a regen and monitor the temp rise with a laptop. Pm me the complete vin and I can get you all warranty repairs that have been made. Hold the cruise button for a few seconds don’t just press it once. It will not work with the exhaust brake on FYI. Pan gasket we charge 4 hours for. It can be a pain to get the old gasket off which increases labor time. Oil pan gaskets are common. They have a new graphite style gasket to aid in sealing the two components. Setting the maintenance items through the cluster can be tricky and hard to explain if you have never done it before. The easiest way is with Hino software. There is nothing to reset unless someone has enabled the reminder in the past. Most customers just turn that feature off. Welcome

Britex

New Recruit
Researching
Quickly. Temp sensors are available at any dealer. We have them in stock. A word of caution… the sensors love to get seized or break, so just be aware of that. Best way to test them is run a regen and monitor the temp rise with a laptop. Pm me the complete vin and I can get you all warranty repairs that have been made. Hold the cruise button for a few seconds don’t just press it once. It will not work with the exhaust brake on FYI. Pan gasket we charge 4 hours for. It can be a pain to get the old gasket off which increases labor time. Oil pan gaskets are common. They have a new graphite style gasket to aid in sealing the two components. Setting the maintenance items through the cluster can be tricky and hard to explain if you have never done it before. The easiest way is with Hino software. There is nothing to reset unless someone has enabled the reminder in the past. Most customers just turn that feature off. Welcome

Thanks for all your help mate, I've now managed to spend a bit of time going through some things on the truck readying it for the long hauls for the family and have found that the DPR graph will basically go to 1 after about 20 miles than within 20-50 more miles hit 5 and request a manual regen. When it first happened it would conduct the regen and then pop a P2002 code however since that time I have conducted the following,

ITV did not have 3 holes per the TSB and not only had play but the shaft was cracked, Purchased new ITV drilled the 3 holes per the TSB and installed
Went through the exhaust brake setup procedure (was way off) however using the copy of DX2 I have I was unable to conduct the first part of this procedure (connect to Hino and download latest ECU revision) DPF looked really good at least from the back per the procedure.
Cleaned out all intercooler piping, inspected and replaced where needed any couplers.
Checked the turbo for side bind, really didn't feel any.

I actually thought I got things squared away but then had to move the truck out to my outlaws this weekend in preparation for some of the move and again got 20-30 miles out and 1 bar on the DPR graph followed by a request to manual regen 20-50 miles later which I conducted when I arrived and at least this time no CEL P2002 and all back to normal.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Understood. As a general rule it should go from 0 bars to 3 bars in 100 miles or so and ask for a regen, if it did not do an auto regen along the way.
1. is it “bar hopping?” Does it go from 1 bar to 5 instantly or over a distance?
2. Is this ALL highway, no stop driving when you say it asks for a regen in under less than 50 miles?
3. Does it feel like it has less power when the truck is performing an auto regen.
4. Do you have the TeamViewer program on your computer?
This should get us started.

Britex

New Recruit
Researching
Understood. As a general rule it should go from 0 bars to 3 bars in 100 miles or so and ask for a regen, if it did not do an auto regen along the way.
1. is it “bar hopping?” Does it go from 1 bar to 5 instantly or over a distance?
2. Is this ALL highway, no stop driving when you say it asks for a regen in under less than 50 miles?
3. Does it feel like it has less power when the truck is performing an auto regen.
4. Do you have the TeamViewer program on your computer?
This should get us started.
Thanks for the response mate!

1: Yes after about 20 miles it was at 1 bar and then not to far after I see the request for Manual Regen pop and look and the gauge is at 5.
2: Other than warming the truck up at idle it's essentially 1/2 mile to the on ramp and then all freeway
3: I have not seen the truck attempt a auto regen other than when it was parked and idling, never during driving.
4: Yes I do