New To Expediting...need Florida feedback

kvdig8

Rookie Expediter
Hello all! I have had a class A license and been driving Tractor Trailers on and off since 2007! I have a total of a little over 5 yrs experience. My fiance wants to now join me and run as a team. We discussed and are now set to do it. She is in Truck driving school and will have her CDL on March 20, 2015. So here are a few questions I have. She wants to start off in a Straight truck 22' Cascadia or equivalent. So I am going to make the sacrifice for her. How much can anyone tell me about FedEx Custom Critical? Any info from anyone would be great! I've heard nothing but positive so far, which is always a good thing! One issue is our place of residency.... Tampa,Fl area.... We were told that this wouldn't be an issue of course and that we could run about 24 days out and home for several days etc..... Just wanted to see if there are any current FedEx CC drivers/teams in the Florida market that could volunteer any info. Of coarse as a driver since 2007, I know and understand the freight limitations in Florida.... But I also Kno that as a company driver I was still able to get home every 3-4wks or so and make a good living. I figure FedEx is everywhere, so it would probably be a better fit for us in our situation in Florida than another company with less ties to the entire 48. Any feedback would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
I dont live in Florida nor take loads to florida but my experience has been fedex has plenty of freight going to Florida coming out could be a different story.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am not sure I understand the 24 days out and at home for a few days....

You realize that FedEx is a non directional dispatch company?

Best bet to get into and out of Florida is to have a reefer or to have your government clearances. There is expedite freight in Florida but expect to dead head on your own dime often to get close to home.

kvdig8

Rookie Expediter
Thank you very much letsdrive. I appreciate the info! I'm going to speak with a few team FedEx CC drivers from Florida here shortly and should have a better understanding from them as well.

kvdig8

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for your help as well TeamCaffee. Yes I realize that. I was told by the team at Expediter Services that its around 24 days out and they get you home for several days. I was just told that information. I was trying to get a grasp on how accurate the info that I was giving by Expediters Services and the FedEx team was. Thanks

Casper0418

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for your help as well TeamCaffee. Yes I realize that. I was told by the team at Expediter Services that its around 24 days out and they get you home for several days. I was just told that information. I was trying to get a grasp on how accurate the info that I was giving by Expediters Services and the FedEx team was. Thanks

My wife and I are currently driving for FedExCC through Expediter Services. We were told 3 weeks out and 1 week off. We prefer to stay out longer, but that's just us.

FedEx has trouble getting us to Dallas/Fort Worth on a regular basis, but Patrick has always been good about getting us home when we decide to do so.

We just started last November and have only managed one load to Florida (Miami), and they didn't have any trouble getting us out that time. You're probably going to be in the same boat we are, as far as going home is concerned.

Good Luck!

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
It varies. We've been with them two years, only ever had two loads to Florida and one back out.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
kvdig8 I forgot that Expedite Services does have some direction dispatch. We were never able to do much in Florida till we got our government clearances and then we were in and out of Florida often.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

I'd suggest you not get tunnel vision with either fedup as a Carrier or, the 24 day rule. If, you are stuck with a strict 24 day requirement (in your mind) and find yourself running hard, and put it in the wind for home on day 24......you will do yourself a great disservice.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello all! I have had a class A license and been driving Tractor Trailers on and off since 2007! I have a total of a little over 5 yrs experience. My fiance wants to now join me and run as a team. We discussed and are now set to do it. She is in Truck driving school and will have her CDL on March 20, 2015. So here are a few questions I have. She wants to start off in a Straight truck 22' Cascadia or equivalent. So I am going to make the sacrifice for her. How much can anyone tell me about FedEx Custom Critical? Any info from anyone would be great! I've heard nothing but positive so far, which is always a good thing! One issue is our place of residency.... Tampa,Fl area.... We were told that this wouldn't be an issue of course and that we could run about 24 days out and home for several days etc..... Just wanted to see if there are any current FedEx CC drivers/teams in the Florida market that could volunteer any info. Of coarse as a driver since 2007, I know and understand the freight limitations in Florida.... But I also Kno that as a company driver I was still able to get home every 3-4wks or so and make a good living. I figure FedEx is everywhere, so it would probably be a better fit for us in our situation in Florida than another company with less ties to the entire 48. Any feedback would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I live in fl. I don't work for fedx they don't pay enough they have a set rate and that's not good enough for me and I get all fuelsurcharge,im out around 1 month at a time and stay till I get bored.then again I own the truck.