New Tax's and fees for credit card use.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
For those of you that purchase fuel via credit cards, starting Sunday a new tax will be added to all purchases (thankyou Obama). Even with Credit card rebates the tax will be 1% more than most rebates.
What will you do to offset this?? Maybe return to cash??
Curious to know.

They are calling them fees the merchants will charge. Debit cards will not be included. Read the following update.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/credit-card-fees-effect-sunday/story?id=18316310

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
where is the new tax?....that article says nothing about a new tax...only about surcharges...

"Smaller merchants, she says, typically feel gouged by processing fees and are more likely than big chains to pass the cost along to their customers. Service providers, she says—your accountant, your massage therapist—are the most likely to pass the charge along. Among big retailers, however, only gas stations have historically distinguished between cash and credit customers, offering a discount to customers paying cash or imposing a surcharge for those using credit cards."

so now we MIGHT see a bigger gap between the cash price and the credit price...since they by this law MUST post the charge

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
where is the new tax?....that article says nothing about a new tax...only about surcharges...

"Smaller merchants, she says, typically feel gouged by processing fees and are more likely than big chains to pass the cost along to their customers. Service providers, she says—your accountant, your massage therapist—are the most likely to pass the charge along. Among big retailers, however, only gas stations have historically distinguished between cash and credit customers, offering a discount to customers paying cash or imposing a surcharge for those using credit cards."

so now we MIGHT see a bigger gap between the cash price and the credit price...since they by this law MUST post the charge

Yes a Surcharge, I call all that stuff a tax. To me it's a tax just another word. Some stations charge credit price even if you use a debit card. Another excuse.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes a Surcharge, I call all that stuff a tax. To me it's a tax just another word. Some stations charge credit price even if you use a debit card. Another excuse.
AND further..it is an agreement between the MERCHANT and the credit card company....NOT something the government is involved in....gee whiz

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This new surcharge does NOT apply in 10 states and does NOT apply to American Express...this is a completely private matter....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as the article reads....it is more likely smaller places will ding you for the charge....like charging that pizza at Poppa Johns....LOL

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
AND further..it is an agreement between the MERCHANT and the credit card company....NOT something the government is involved in....gee whiz

Actually card fees have rose because of so called consumer protection acts passed by congress the past few years. Government is very much involved. As always they never want to talk about the consequences of their actions because many who pay no attention will hold the card company and merchants at fault.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Might not effect CV fueling up because the front pumps are set to cash price unlike the pumps in the back

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and I quote....."Under the terms of a $7.2 billion settlement reached last summer between credit card companies and merchants, merchants will be free to impose a surcharge on customers paying by credit card."

before this fee...merchants could NOT pass on the service charge to customers as per contract with credit card companies

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Every thing that is bad is always the governments fault. IF it is going to cost us money, it's their fault. It are how it are.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

This is a direct result of the merchants agreement with the government about fees and surcharges. This was part of the agreement. gee whiz.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

Almost sounds like someone from another country. :rolleyes:

1% might not sound like much to a van but I spend $15 to $20k a month on fuel. That's a lot for me.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
well it is still not a tax.....LOL......some yankee you are....hahahaha

Of COURSE it is a tax. They CALL it a "surcharge" or a "fee" or whatever, when the government imposes it, it IS a tax. Like that "TAX" I pay to enter the US from Canada. They call it an "agricultural fee". What a joke.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Of COURSE it is a tax. They CALL it a "surcharge" or a "fee" or whatever, when the government imposes it, it IS a tax. Like that "TAX" I pay to enter the US from Canada. They call it an "agricultural fee". What a joke.
used to be called a processing fee....LOL

But there is a story there too.....I asked about the fee many years ago when it went from $5 to 10.50....supposedly every contraband food item seized at the border is supposed to be transferred to the Dept of Agriculture for processing and destruction.....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
used to be called a processing fee....LOL

But there is a story there too.....I asked about the fee many years ago when it went from $5 to 10.50....supposedly every contraband food item seized at the border is supposed to be transferred to the Dept of Agriculture for processing and destruction.....

Yeah, buttcha know what? I have ALWAYS been able to smell the difference between a rose and a cow patty.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, buttcha know what? I have ALWAYS been able to smell the difference between a rose and a cow patty.

do I really think my three sticks of beef jerky seized at the North Dakota border made it to the dept of Agriculture?....rose or cow patty?.....LOL