New Sprinter 1st Oil Change Advice?

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Hi! Just curious about when you new Sprinter owners did your 1st oil change?

My 2012 Sprinter came with Mobil 1 esp 5w-40 Oil. They say 10k , but it makes me kind of nervous as the Van is being broken in. I have 600 miles on it right now.
I was thinking 3000 miles then going with 10k after that as recomended in Service Book.

Also I bought this from North Olmstead in Cleveland and they have a few 2012 at really good discount. I think they have 2 left. Talk to Jerry Greene. Good, helpfull salesman that understands Expediting.

Thanks,

Steve

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
10k is just fine....you'll not really gain much by changing it earlier...except maybe cash loss....
I do mine between 10-15....

guido4475

Not a Member
Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to have a newer Sprinter's oil changed now? Just wondering...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to have a newer Sprinter's oil changed now? Just wondering...

D.I.Y about 7$ a quart..i think they are 12 quart engines...might be cheaper if that oil is sold by the gallon....then whatever the oil filter costs....maybe 20 bucks...
I do 7-8 oil changes a year.....

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
What kind of oil do those motors use? A gallon of Delvac at Walmart is only about $13.

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
10k is just fine....you'll not really gain much by changing it earlier...except maybe cash loss....
I do mine between 10-15....

Thanks! Ill wait then. Where do you find the Oil for $7? The cheapest I found the Mobil-1 esp was $12.

Mercedes in Cleveland said it was $160 for Oil Change + filter.

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
Freightliner in Memphis sells it for 7 dollars. I've never paid 12. You can go to any Mercedes or freightliner that works on sprinters. I negotiate with them and only pay 7 to 9 dollars a quart.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Thanks! Ill wait then. Where do you find the Oil for $7? The cheapest I found the Mobil-1 esp was $12.

Mercedes in Cleveland said it was $160 for Oil Change + filter.
Kempthorn in Canton used to sell it for around $6 or $7 a quart ... but I haven't checked lately ...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In warrenty I think it is a good idea to let a dealer do oil changes. They document it and it keeps everything nice and clean in case of claims. Just my personal feelings. 160 - 175 is a fair price more than that and look elsewhere.

I have never been lucky enough to see it for 7 bucks I normally see around 8.50 and you need 13 1/2 quarts I think but the new Manuel isn't specific like before. I always used 13 and topped off as necessary.

It is essential you use one of the specified oil types in your book, it will keep your dpf and other emmisions items working right much longer.

Do not idle when just sitting!

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

DST001

Expert Expediter
I would Recomend letting a Certified Sprinter dealer do an oil change and service on it till the warranty runs out paper trail is good so there isn't any issues at the dealership. And make shure you only put an oil spec mb 229.51 Mobil-1 esp meets the spec same as Amsoil euro syn 5-40 or 5-30 Futches oil meets the spec you can but the sprinter spec oil and parts from Euro vanparts of sandiago .com they seem to have good deals on parts alot cheaper that up here in Canada :) I hope this helps DST001

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, I''ll have the dealership do all the service till the warranty runs out.
After that I have a good Mechanic that I used for years and he services a lot of Sprinters. It will go to him since he's close and reliable.

Will stick to 229.51 oil(Mobil-1 ESP-M). I always kept to same oil in my Vans. I used Rotella 15-40 in my 7.3 Ford and had 400K and the engine was like new(not the rest though lol). I will stick with the Mobil-1 ESP for the Sprinter though.

See you all on the road very soon.

Thanks for all the posts!

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
D.I.Y about 7$ a quart..i think they are 12 quart engines...might be cheaper if that oil is sold by the gallon....then whatever the oil filter costs....maybe 20 bucks...
I do 7-8 oil changes a year.....

It's 7 bucks at the store, not at lube center. You'll look at $10 per quart if you go the shop...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Advice for Sprinter services? Have lots of money. Good luck.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You can take your own oil into the dealer and have them use that. It's also the way to know for sure what oil they use. Some dealers will use "good enough" oil out of a 55 gallon drum and then write on the work order that they used what they were supposed to use. They don't generally have the sharpest mechanic in the drawer as the one doing the all the oil changes. :D

Last edited: