new poster full of questions...(long)

homeless andy

Expert Expediter
Hi all! I have approximately 1 year(not recent) courier(mini-van)experience. Also 2 1/2 years delivering office supplies(cargo van) and 2 years delivering furniture(box truck).That's the good part. The bad part is this, I went to a company CDL school in '98 and then out with a trainer for 4 weeks. The day I was given my own truck, I rear-ended somebody. The police were called and I was at fault. I was on my way home at the time, proceeded to go home, and the more I thought about it, the more worried I got. I called my dispatch and told them to come and get the truck. I understand now what a stupid move that was, but at the time, it never dawned on me that it would affect me later on. I've checked my MVR and it's clean and recently sent a request for a DAC report. I'm assuming both the accident and the abandonment will show up on this report. Do o/o's use the DAC and how much credibility is given to it by them? Do I stand a chance of getting a job anywhere in expediting or am I still employable? Do companies give you a chance to tell your side of the DAC story? I am interested in driving a cargo van to start and eventually getting my CDL A again. Do van drivers keep log books and have the usual HOS? I'm sorry this is so long. I searched the archives and didn't find the info I was looking for. I appreciate any and all info and would rather not hear about what a loser and common criminal I am to have abandoned a truck. Hindsight is 20/20. If any o/o's out there want to give a guy a second chance, I am available immediately. Thanks everyone

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's up to the carrier you are applying at to decide if they want to look at your DAC or not. Some carriers do not submit to or use DAC. Also, in your instance with the tractor-trailer, that carrier, if they even submitted a report to DAC about you, probably did not consider your case abandonment as I assume you were heading home without a load on. It's when one abandons loaded that upsets carriers and it's a felony too.
Interstate cargo vans under 10k lbs. gross do not have to log except in NY and (I think) TN. (someone correct me on that one if wrong please.)
I don't think you will have too hard of a time finding someone to run a van for.
-Weave-

homeless andy

Expert Expediter
Thanks,weave, for responding. Actually, I'm ashamed to admit it, but the truck was loaded.(Flatbed with I-beams) I picked it up in NC after someone else abandoned it. I don't know if there was an air leak or just my lack of training that caused the accident. Regardless, the brakes didn't work when I wanted them to. This company ran a CDL mill, and training was very minimal. 5 students to a truck was the norm. After the school, I sat at home for a month waiting on a trainer. The trainer I got was someone who just wanted to make extra money. We basically ran as a team, not a trainer/trainee. The only time I drove was on the interstate. He always took over before reaching any major cities. So, that, along with my hesitance to question what I was told, left me a poorly prepared truck driver. I did not think to investigate the industry before I got in it. I had a friend who drove and made decent money, and I just figured it would be like any other job, with the exception of "seeing the country". I am now well aware of what is involved in driving for a living and would be eternally grateful to anyone that gave me the opportunuity to redeem myself.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Don't feel too bad about what happened to you. It's not uncommon. Most company "trainers" get the trainees mileage pay, and couldn't care less about doing any actual training. Really the only exceptions to that are two fellows I know who are Schneider-men who trained with an actual paid trainer who was patient and taught them a lot of things. I sort of went through the same disappointments you did, with the exception of abandoning the truck. Think positive, 1998 was a long time ago. (And they say there are no positive things on these forums..)
Do you still have your CDL A? You should unless you dropped it on a renewal. You'll more than likely need at least a CDL C anywhere to run a commercial interstate cargo van, as many carriers require hazmat. If you dropped your CDL, most states grandfather the written tests on their computers, so getting a CDL C would be a simple matter of taking a road test in a van.
-Weave-

ihatejeffgordon

Expert Expediter
Actually, you don't even really need to take a road test. now you may still have that class A, but just for the info of any other little eyes that may be peeping i thought i'd mention MY license. i have an IL CDL C with two restrictions: J10 (vehicle under 16,000 gvw), B (no air brakes.) essentially i just handed over $50 and they gave me a CDL (hey....this is illinois, we have a history of this sort of thing.) so far it's been accepted by the artist formerly known as roberts express :) and tristate.
Remember, Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.