New Plant for Morgan body in SC

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Morgan bodys, builder of truck body's is opening a new plant in Charleston SC to retrofit Sprinters for Fed Ex, Ryder and others. Will be in operation in the fall.
Composit bodys.

Maybe something like the Turtletop or Cargo Max maybe. Thought this might interest the Sprinter folks.

Doesn't look to be an Expediter, more like delivery.

http://www.morganolson.com/udv/udv.lasso

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
makes sense to do it right there when they come off the boat, instead of shipping them elsewhere...

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Those are kind of cool looking actually. If it wasn't for that step down it could be a good little expedite van.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That stepwell can be converted with a shelf that folds down to create additional floor space used by the well.

step.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are vans/sprinters required to register at their max GVW? Example, my truck can legally be registered at much higher that 48,000. I register lower to avoid the heavy vehicle tax. I am never going to put on enough weight to go over anyway.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pine floors...3" I beams on 16" centers, roll up door....that is one heavy beast just sitting there...

tknight

Veteran Expediter
On an inspection the first place they go is the manufactures door tag I wouldn't want to get caught under registered it might get painful to your wallet

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was given options about what weight I wanted register at. I could go up too but not above the max of the truck. I have a straight truck, I know NOTHING about the van world.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You can under tag a vehicle as long as you don't exceed the weight of the tag. You cannot over tag the GVW of the tag at least in SC. They have all types of vehicles in the computor at the DMV and they look at that when you buy a tag. Don't know about other states. They put in the VIN number and the vehicle shows up. I guess they are tied in with the manufacturers now.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I was given options about what weight I wanted register at. I could go up too but not above the max of the truck. I have a straight truck, I know NOTHING about the van world.
You can register for any weight you like, just like you have with your truck...at least in AR, I could. Another member told me he could only go in certain increments in his state (I don't remember now what they were). But apparently it changes by state. The thing is, when it comes to whether or not your running logbooks, etc, their going to go by the door sticker. No matter what weight you have it registered for, as long as your not OVER that weight, you should be legal weight-wise.

My question would be to LOS: How do you get a lot more than 48K? Do you have a tandem axle + a lift? A standard tandem axle setup would be 46k gross. 17k for each drive axle and 12k for the steer.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can register for any weight you like, just like you have with your truck...at least in AR, I could. Another member told me he could only go in certain increments in his state (I don't remember now what they were). But apparently it changes by state. The thing is, when it comes to whether or not your running logbooks, etc, their going to go by the door sticker. No matter what weight you have it registered for, as long as your not OVER that weight, you should be legal weight-wise.

My question would be to LOS: How do you get a lot more than 48K? Do you have a tandem axle + a lift? A standard tandem axle setup would be 46k gross. 17k for each drive axle and 12k for the steer.

Lift axle and heavier front axle.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Are vans/sprinters required to register at their max GVW? Example, my truck can legally be registered at much higher that 48,000. I register lower to avoid the heavy vehicle tax. I am never going to put on enough weight to go over anyway.
In Michigan, the GVW plate registration fee is not based on GVWR, but rather on the lower amount of the maximum elected gross vehicle weight. The elected gross vehicle weight is the empty weight of the vehicle, fully equipped for service, plus the weight of the maximum load that the owner has elected to carry. If your truck, fully equipped for service, and fully loaded with the maximum load you'll ever gonna take, and it only weighs 41,000 pounds, you can register the plate fee for the 41,000 lbs and not the actual GVWR. Of course, register it as 41,000 and then get caught weighing 47,000, and you're in deep Michigan duck doodie with the SOS. You'll get a hefty fine, and then have to pay back registration fees, fines and interest.

GVWR and the weight on the vehicle license plate registration are two separate issues, and generally have nothing to do with each other, other than the GVWR is used to determine the appropriate registration plate for your vehicle in many states. The GVWR is the limit of the total amount your vehicle can ever weigh fully loaded. The vehicle registration's weight determines how much you pay in taxes for the registration, and will often be higher than the actual GVWR of the vehicle.

For example, my Sprinter's GVWR is 8,550, but I have a 10,000 lbs registration ($21.00 a year, but we also pay personal property tax each year on vehicles and boats, based on Blue Book value or some other criteria). In Kentucky, commercial trucks, SUVs and vans which are operated and/or used for business purposes will receive a 10,000 lbs plate, unless the GVWR exceeds 10,000 pounds

Commercial vehicles over 10,001 lbs must be licensed with a 14,000 lb. plate or greater, except Kentucky did away with the 14,000 lbs plate (and three others) and it jumps straight from 10,000 to 22000 lbs far as I know. So you could have a 12,000 lbs GVWR vehicle, and you'd have to have a 22,000 lbs registration plate ($108.50 a year).

After the 22,000 plate, the levels are 26000 lbs, 32000, 38000, 44000, 55000, 62000, 73280, and 80,000 lbs.

In Kentucky, if your truck has a GVWR of 48,000 lbs, you'd have to have a 55,000 lbs plate. The annual fee for a 55,000 plate in Kentucky is
$535.25.

Of course, if your truck's GVWR is 48,000 and your registration is 55,000, that doesn't mean it's perfectly legal to haul and extra 7000 pounds of freight. 48,000 lbs is still the max you can actually weigh.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I COULD have elected to register at 54,000. I chose 48. I did not wish to pay the extra and would never want to put that much on the truck anyway. I have never even maxed out on weight as it is.

When we first went in to register we had NO idea what we were doing. The people at the desk were extremely helpful. I have always found them to be VERY helpful, every time we have had dealings with them.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
LOS,are you saying you have a 20,000# front axle? I doubt it.
You're allowed 20,000# on a single axle if the axle,tires,and suspension are rated for it.
Usually only seen on vocational vehicles and heavy haul trucks.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
On an inspection the first place they go is the manufactures door tag I wouldn't want to get caught under registered it might get painful to your wallet
I've been inspected several times in a straight truck. I don't remember them EVER looking at the door tag?