New or used?

JustAddRubber

Expert Expediter
Hey
Is it better to start out with new or used?
Class 7 or 8?
Three axle or two?
What is the best size box for a D?Or supper D?

GJ

abcwine

Expert Expediter
All those questions have different answers depending on individual situations. New or used? Good things about new- Warranty, original owner, can somewhat spec out what you want. Bad things about new- Price, price, price oh yeah and truck payment. If you can afford a new truck or if you are running team and are aware of what kind of profit you require monthly, than go for it. If this is something new or somewhat new for you, try a more modestly priced used vehicle.
Next question, medium duty or heavy duty? Pro's on heavy- Last longer, handle heavy weight much better, longer warranties, etc. etc.
Cons- fuel efficiency. Normally medium duty's get 10-12 mpg and heavy duty's get 6-8 mpg. If you looking new, a class 8 will cost you more especially when you stretch it and add a box, but it will last you twice as long. If you are looking used, class 8's are usually affordable.
2 or 3 axle? If you do class 8, use a tandem. Class 7 probably stick with single axle.
22'-24' is usually the best size box for straight trucks.

Good Luck,

Abc

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
JustAddRubber;
Thought I would make some slight adjustments to ABCWine's response. Most 20' - 24', 2 axle straight trucks (broke in) average about 9 to 10 miles per gallon. New trucks, until about 50,000 miles, slightly less. He is correct on mileage for 3 axle units.
On box selection, keep in mind that the maximum standard pallet size is 48" X 48". I suggest to buy a box in true 4' increments. In other words a 20' or 24' box. Also, be sure to measure the box from the inside. Many box manufacterers' will 'spec boxes from the outside. Be sure the 24' box is a true 24' on the inside. I also suggest that the width inside the box be at least 97" wide. This should allow for 2 pallets to be placed side by side. In a box with a true 24' length with 97" width you would be able to place 12 of the largest (48" X 48") pallets inside. I realize that most pallets are not this size anymore, but the loads missed because you can't handle the size, are worth the extra effort to find the right box on the right truck.
I hope this helps you out.
Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter
:D