New Hours of Service proposal

G

Read about it at truckinginfo.com

12 on 12 off strange proposals for on and off

Ed

G

Ok sounds good to me....I take the new Hours of service 12/12 and drive for jb hunt expedite.........ahhh life has never been easier.

X

G

You'll never see 12/12 hours of service,there's no where to park all the equipment now for 8 hrs. Can only imagine the nightmare of sitting around for 12. That would keep me in a cargo van for sure.

G

It will probably wind up being 15 on 9 off in one stretch.I think if that happens the expediting companies will lose a lot of their teams,as with being able to drive say 14 hours,they would probably allow a single driver to go about 750 miles.However this could and will be dangerous,for example,a driver doesn!t get a good nights sleep due to damn reefers that park next to him(happens to me all the time) wakes up at 0730 is awake all day,then at 1800 gets a 700 mile straight thru run..That driver is going to have a difficult time at about 5-6AM the next morning..So who knows??

G

Most likely you are right Rich, I think it will be 14 on 10 off myself,but that's just my guess. It will benefit single drivers for sure, but will be a double edge sword,I don't see anyone safely operating a vehicle for 14 hrs at a time,especially in our business when we are on call. It would be rough if you knew the hours you were going to work and had plenty of rest.Doin it today is one thing,but doin it again the next day and then the next,well you know what I'm gettin at,we are only human,then greed comes in,we don't want to pass up the load and before you know it we are upside down in a ditch wondering what happened.I'm not sure it's a good thing at all from a safety point of view.

G

Check out the breaks.. 30 minutes to park (good luck) order and swallow your meal and get on the road. Also 30 minutes for a coffe break? Gotta take 4 equal 30 minute breaks! Don't drive between midnight and 6 AM ( My best time ) Hello rush hour. Great idea, put all the trucks on the road at rush hour and take them off at night, Safety First. What do they mean drive a lot one week (72 hours)and very little the next (48 hours)......They will probably send it out as is and cut your earnings by half. I don't think they have figured out that I got tired by being on call for 24 hours, spending 5 hours waiting and loading, and the driving all the hours I can log, only to spend time waiting and unloading before starting it all over again. Black Boxes? Tired? Not me. I never run out of hours. I wanna go home some time but I don't think those hours will let me. Have you written (E-Mail) your Congressman or Woman? Did you click on the O12-Off 12 and read the entire article. I'm not sure I understand the thing. Good Luck. Ed

G

I just read that posting on tyhe other web site.It is confusing for sure,but these organizations which have their own agenda!s have no concept of the real world. I believe as Ed states we all need to contact our represenatives and voice objections to these extreme groups. If somehow all truckers refused to go to Maine maybe those so called safety people up there would change their minds.I agree that the present rules need to be changed but black boxes??.Next thing they will be telling us when to urinate etc.