New here...looking to move to a straight truck

isprincess

Active Expediter
Hi,

My name is Karen and I am new to the site. I have been team trucking OTR with my husband for over a year now with an 18 wheeler for CRST van expedited. We are very hard runners. We are looking into becoming a team for a straight truck expedited company. We have Class A with hazmat and reside in San Diego, CA. Do you have any suggestions as to which are better companies? Any offer health insurance for purchase? Do any offer lease/purchase with no up front cost? Thanks for any info and nice to meet everyone. :D

MissKat

Expert Expediter
As a team that has done both I have a couple of thoughts. First with expediting it is emergency freight. Not all places you end up has freight waiting that expedite companies haul. So you either wait until an emergency call comes in or you relocate to an area that you gamble will have said freight. With linehaul like you do now someone finds freight for you. In this weird economic climate I would carefully consider changing jobs. You lose money everytime you do. Maybe you need a new carrier instead. Pm me.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hi,

My name is Karen and I am new to the site. I have been team trucking OTR with my husband for over a year now with an 18 wheeler for CRST van expedited. We are very hard runners. We are looking into becoming a team for a straight truck expedited company. We have Class A with hazmat and reside in San Diego, CA. Do you have any suggestions as to which are better companies?
Nope. 'Better' is in the eye of the beholder - if we agreed on it, there'd be only one choice, right? You can get a clearer idea of the differences by reading the carrier forums, and as much else as you can stand of the Newbies. Also, take advantage of the opportunities to talk to expediters at truckstops, or wherever you find them - ask how they feel about their carrier. You can also send private msgs to members who are with a carrier you're interested in, if you feel comfortable with it - not many bite, promise.

Any offer health insurance for purchase? Do any offer lease/purchase with no up front cost?

Advertising will give you the answers to those questions, [not hard to find that, lol] with more current info than most drivers would have. If either is offered, it will be featured in their ads, no doubt.
One caveat: there are numerous warnings folks have posted here on the 'lease purchase' subject, so you might want to do a search on the term to read why. Good luck with the move - it's a big transition.
:)
Thanks for any info and nice to meet everyone. :D