New guy, old topic

baker45810

Rookie Expediter
In the early 80's I drove a 24ft straight Mercedes for Buckeye Rich Plan delivering frozen food and freezers for 4 years. After they closed up shop I went into manufacturing, 10 years for Morton Buildings and 15 for Rockwell International which after many spin-offs became Sypris Tech. In 2008 they closed their doors and to make ends meet I have helped local farmers hauling grain, driving tractor and all aspects of swine farm management. I have managed to save a nest egg and I am considering a move to expediting. The only bills I have are a mortgage and utilities. I am divorced with a daughter on her own and I can be out on extended runs. In 2006 I screwed up and was charged with felony assault. My question to all of you sage drivers out there is if I purchase a new cargo van or sprinter, can I with my background expect to make a living? I live in Ada, Ohio about 60 miles from Toledo and Columbus and 20 miles from Lima with access to I-75 about 8 miles from my door.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. All I can suggest is before buying a van have a contract in hand with a carrier. Take on the expense and/or debt of a van only after securing a guaranteed position. That and a good luck are what I can offer.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Definitely drive for someone. Make sure this works. And you'll work through everything else.
If you like it, and like the carrier, buy your own.
You may have to draw from your savings each week as a driver but you'll be able to keep track of expenses and predict what you may do once you buy yours.
Paid Test Drive so to speak.

It's easier to walk away from Bobbie's van than from one you just bought. Cheaper,too.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
You really should drive for someone for at least 6 months before buying a new vehicle.

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't rush yourself to buy a new van. First check with the carriers and see if they accept you (due to the mentioned background), and if they say you're ok, buy a used van, I'd say a 3-4 yrs old van. Some companies don't care about the van's age. A new van means another monthly payment for you, a higher insurance, and the depreciation comes really fast.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Buy a new van or sprinter without a clue to what the business is actually all about.......bye-bye nest egg..........:) If you think the criminal charges will be a problem call the companies your thinking of contracting with and ask them directly

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Why a van ? You'll make more money, and be more comfortable in a straight .
You will likely make more money in a straight....only because of the over saturated van market...but I'll take the comfort of my van over a straight any day.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure about comfort but the freedom of a van is what keeps me in one.