New GPS from Rand McNally

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I signed up for their notifications and look forward to hearing more about it. There must be someone who can produce and provide a truck specific navigation system that's full featured and <98% accurate.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You'd think after all the "trucker tested, trucker approved" stuff there's be at least one independent review somewhere on the Net. Newp. Not even a review at the Rand McNally site.

One thing that's interesting is the unit features a function for corrections, for roads, routing, bridges, etc. That should speak volumes and let you know that Rand McNally already knows it's not anywhere near 98% accurate. Trucker's POI's and tracking mileage by state is nifty, but all that's worthless if the actual routing sux. They have certainly shown they have good maps and a lot of proprietary data like more truck route information than the others have, but it's still the actual routing within those maps that is the heart of any route mapping system.

Garmin and Tom Tom have been at each other's throats n and out of court for years in tweaking the routing software to get the routings better, and they still have a long way to go. I'd want to wait and see before plunking down $500 to see if Rand McNally hit a home run at their first time at bat. It would have to be far, far better than their online routing software, that's for sure.

tillerman

Seasoned Expediter
If you had to buy 1 GPS, with the most bang for the buck, What would be the recommendation??

Which model of Garmin??

Last edited:

GandJ

Active Expediter
Yup Garmin

Garmin dezl 760LMT 7" GPS will be out in a couple of weeks.

That will be the one I'll get. Hope it is as good as my old 4 wheel GPS.

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the Rand McNally 510 (smaller unit) and so far its not bad. It allows for multiple stops, so I can enter my pick up and delivery info in as soon as I get the load info. I do check the shortest vs fastest route every time. I also check the route againt Google Maps, just to make sure I understand how its routing me. So far, no real complaints.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I like our Rand McNally and have both the 710 and the 720. I do not use all of the features of the 720 as I am still fighting with my internet usage. The 720 also seemed to drop the internet signal very easy and had to be reconnected. We use them both for Hazmat routing and like any GPS we need to know our route before we leave the shipper.

The Rand McNally GPS's have been on the dash now for a couple of years and I am happy enough that I have not considered another GPS.

Like companies I am sure one GPS is not perfect for everyone.