New gasket or new/used engine

chiefinman

Rookie Expediter
Hello all, I have a maintenance question that I could really use some help on. I have a 2007 Hino 338 with a leaking head gasket which is causing my engine to run hot. The question that I am posing is this...would it be better to have the head gasket fixed for around $3500 or just suck it up and buy a used engine? Any and all help would be appreciated. Either I go it is going to really sting financially. Obviously I would like to get this resolved as least expensive as possible, but at the same time I want to do what is best for the long haul. Thank you in advance for your help. Oh yeah, my current engine has 800K + miles on it.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Depends on your financial state. If you do a head gasket just make sure they mag the head for cracks and warping. If it were mine I would R&R the engine.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I would take that $3500 and use it as a down payment for a Freightliner. I wouldn't put a used engine in unless your motor needs more than a head gasket because you might end up with the same issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

chiefinman

Rookie Expediter
Depends on your financial state. If you do a head gasket just make sure they mag the head for cracks and warping. If it were mine I would R&R the engine.

Thank you for the good advice. I do not actually own the truck. I drive team with the owner. He and I have discussed it at length and based on the cost we are going to replace the head gasket. Other than that the truck is in really good shape because we take care of it. Thanks again.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
What is so complicated about a Head Gasket that costs $3,500.00. If you had twenty hours labor @ $75.00 an hour the gasket would cost $2000.00.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The extra expense is for the dealership/shop to realign the henway with the flux capaciter. And lets not forget it always takes an hour to degrease a clean engine. Thats why I try to do everything myself.

Head gaskets at least on a DT 466 engine arent a big deal but you will need a decent set of hand tools, You will need the bolt loosening and tightening sequence so you dont twist the head, a sping compressor 50.00, a cherry harbor freight $150.00 picker to remove the head fully dressed weighs 200 + lbs. Any good engine shop will rebuild the head or at least clean, check, and deck to make sure you have a good head. I had a stripped head hot tanked, shot peened and magfluxed it was less than 200 bucks.
The money saved you can drop in a new set of injectors.
Bob Wolf

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hello all, I have a maintenance question that I could really use some help on. I have a 2007 Hino 338 with a leaking head gasket which is causing my engine to run hot. The question that I am posing is this...would it be better to have the head gasket fixed for around $3500 or just suck it up and buy a used engine? Any and all help would be appreciated. Either I go it is going to really sting financially. Obviously I would like to get this resolved as least expensive as possible, but at the same time I want to do what is best for the long haul. Thank you in advance for your help. Oh yeah, my current engine has 800K + miles on it.

Is it leaking coolant into the oil?

There is an oil cooler above the oil filter on that engine that when it starts to leak it can either leak on the ground or into the oil. Mine is leaking a little bit of coolant but its not mixing into the oil, it's leaking outside onto the ground.

chiefinman

Rookie Expediter
I would take that $3500 and use it as a down payment for a Freightliner. I wouldn't put a used engine in unless your motor needs more than a head gasket because you might end up with the same issues.

Thank you. Took your advice and purchased a Freightliner. Less miles, larger sleeper. Awesome truck. We are actually able to pass going uphill without having to pull over to the shoulder and let the engine cool back down.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thank you. Took your advice and purchased a Freightliner. Less miles, larger sleeper. Awesome truck. We are actually able to pass going uphill without having to pull over to the shoulder and let the engine cool back down.

Sounds like a big step up. Any pictures?