New from WI

proptied

Rookie Expediter
Hi all,

I've been reading a few months now and want to finally post an introduction. I've had so much screen time on this forum I feel like I already know a few of you...although you don't know me. <insert creepy vibe>

My wife and I are looking for a new adventure in this wonderful game of life. We are young, inexperienced, and have no idea what we are doing but we are very eager to learn in this field. We both come from wildly different careers than this; I work in outside sales for an industrial supply company and she works in a dermatology office.

Although we understand some of the risks involved, we still have many, many questions. We are currently in talks of attending the Expedite Workshop in Livonia. I'm hopeful that's the smart move to make to jump start this career.

Our goals are to drive team straight truck as a company driver to start. Neither of us have our Class B license but we will be taking a three week course at our local tech college to make the most of our time in learning a new skill.

We have one question to start with (besides are we crazy?), where can we actually see and touch an expedite straight truck? Can I just go to a dealer and ask to go inside one?

Thanks for reading.

Mike and Brittany

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yes i'm sure a dealer will let you see one. Also in your post you say you and your wife want to start out being company drivers. In this industry there are a few owners out there who pay drivers as employee's but with most owners you will be paid as a contractor on a 1099 and be responsible for your own taxes.

proptied

Rookie Expediter
I think I used the wrong terminology. That's actually what we want is to be handled as contractors... Just using someone else's truck.

Thanks for clarifying.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The annual expedite expo is coming up, best place to find all your answers with the seminars that take place, and every type of expedite truck will be on display from all the top dealers and carriers. Happy Learning!

Reactions: TDave

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good questions, not a st driver only in a sprinter so I'll leave answers to those who drive one. But the university and the expo would be good places to be. The expo at the end of July would provide more opportunity to talk to drivers and explore trucks. One thing to be aware of is the typical display truck you see at the expo is normally the Hilton of trucks. The majority start in a more days Inn type of truck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It shouldn't be hard to see inside an expedite truck, dealers love showing them to potential buyers, lol. Ok, not mentioning that you don't plan to buy a truck for a long time, if ever, is a bit shady, but it's for a good cause, I think. I like to check out newer RVs, looking for ideas I might adapt in the sleeper, and I'm not likely to buy one.
Also, you might be able to strike up a conversation with various drivers at truckstops, and some may be agreeable to showing you where they live and work - you need to play that by ear, though. Expedite people are the same as any people: some are friendly & outgoing, some not so much. But most will respond to positive interest in their truck, carrier, workload, etc.
The seminar is an excellent beginning - you'll be glad you went, I'm sure.