New driver

Amyjodale

Rookie Expediter
Driver
We are starting with a owner in couple weeks. We are new to expediting? Anyone have input on whether we should have a company name or keep individual for tax purposes. I talked to accountant already but wanted input from people who may have went through this already. TIA!!!! Hey

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone have input on whether we should have a company name or keep individual for tax purposes.
Who are "We"? Same household couple?

I talked to accountant already but wanted input from people who may have went through this already. TIA!!!! Hey
What could give you input but it might not apply to your situation because you have given no specific info about yourselves. You talked to an accountant. I hope you were more forthcoming with them. If so, I'd go with what they advised you to do.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What are you driving semi, straight truck, cargo van? Are you paid as a employee or 1099?
Do you pay for fuel, or anything else? Do you have any skin in the game? What did the accountant say?

As Moot implied, just too general of a question without knowing more. It may seem simple, but there are a lot of factors that come into play. Especially when taxes are involved, there is no one blanket answer. But in general, at this point, I wouldn't worry about having a business name at this point.

So the answer really is...it depends.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have never had a business relationship with a owner. I have hunted down a CPA, that is knowledgeable in trucking and micro small business. Well worth the time and effort.