New DOT Rule - No Texting

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess they'll take your phone and check messages?
and compare them to your log book....
I can see the delete being used a lot now...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know that's really great.

The DoT has been on the forefront in providing a small amount of research funds to Ford and GM to develop in vehicle systems for the past few years. They seem to think that this is safer for drivers because of "the amount of information that now get" to make driving decisions.

But driving one of the new Ford products with the new Sync system, I can't see that being anywhere near the truth. I want to know why are they providing funds for this crap while at the same time trying to limit distractions within the vehicle?

I am a good driver and trying to deal with the nav system that was out my line of sight and trying to read the buttons on the display was hazardist to say the least. I had to trun it off and focus on driving. I can imagine some idiot who is a bad driver rearending someone because they were trying to figure out what station they are on.

Where these are useful is in europe, they don't have the problems that we do with dumb drivers.

What should we outlaw next?

Nav systems?
Video systems?
Kids in the vehicle? This is the biggest distraction of all.

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
It is my belief that if any individual that is driving any vehicle that is performing a task that is distracting to job/safety at hand, then someone needs to step in and take action. In this case its the Feds. So be it!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only way that the Feds can do this legally would be under the Interstate Commerce Act. Otherwise, it is a State matter. The Feds are in too many things that are reserved for the States. Just wait, it will get worse. This is only the beginning.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It is my belief that if any individual that is driving any vehicle that is performing a task that is distracting to job/safety at hand, then someone needs to step in and take action. In this case its the Feds. So be it!!

I agree with you;

But then who defines a distraction?

But then who defines the right to drive for that matter?

If we are to think we have a right to drive as many want to beleive and our 'car companies' market things like Ford is doing, then we don't need someone to step in and tell us anything outside fo basics but take some of the external forces out of the picture altogether, like ban texting altogther.

The same goes for this profession, many feel the tests and requirements are too hard and should be soften while we are bombarded with some times really silly rules and regulations that actually don't do a thing.

For example handsfree phone interfaces don't eliminate a distraction for a driver - their focus is not on the road but the conversation, solution would be ban all phones. A Nav system elminate doesn't the need for someone to take their eyes off the road but people think that it is a way to 'eliminate' the cause of the accidents by elminating the driver looking at a map. Solution is fine people for using them while driving.

While driving a new Ford, it was distracting to me to have the sync system running and it telling me what is playing on the radio but that is something that is a distraction to anyone. I think I am disiplined enough to ignore things like what's playing on that station but I know a lot of others who get focused on say a "check engine" light not because of their concern for something wrong or something making noise while they are driving like a brat playing with a toy.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Your missing the bigger picture here,that we even need to address this issue means that the real problem is; we have to many stupid people who do have a drivers licenses to begin with and they should not be allowed to operate anything lager that a small riding lawn-more EOL.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Layout,
Congress will say this is Interstate Commerce. I'm not trying to get Soapboxy here so I'll leave it at that.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
How can they tell if you're texting or punching in a number? I'm sure there'll be some bad juju from this one. $2750 is a hefty fine, if the officer makes a mistake. But we all know they're perfect, right?

guido4475

Not a Member
I have tried to text while driving, and cant do it very well, so I dont do it.The close calls I have had from others almost running into me while texting are too numerous to count.I wont talk on the phone while driving unless I am using my headset, either.Too distracting without it.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Something to consider. . .Here are just a few of the many driver distractions that lead to accidents:

1) Eating
2) Drinking
3) Smoking
4) Adjusting the radio
5) Conversation with passengers
6) Talking on the cell phone
7) Texting on the cell phone
8) Daydreaming
9) Fatigue
10) Rubber necking
11) Children
12) Listening to music
13) Watching the dashboard instruments
14) Being lost
15) Weather
16) Insects/debris on windshield
17) Construction
18) Billboards
19) Medical impairments
20) Laptops
21) Applying make-up
22) Picking noses
Etc.

It appears that Secretary LaHood was under pressure to do something so he did like most politicians and took the easy way out. He picked the most popular distraction of the day (texting) and targeted the easiest group of drivers to regulate (Commercial).

This allowed him to hold a press conference and receive applause, but it does little to fix the underlying problem. In states where texting has been outlawed, many drivers simply hold the phone below the dashboard which actually increases the distraction.

Will this new rule save a few lives?? Absolutely! Rules banning eating or adjusting the radio would save lives too, but where do you stop?

A major overhaul of our driver education and licensing laws aimed at making driving a privilege to be taken seriously would do much more than attempting to regulate the human behaviors that result from making driving a right that is easily obtained by taking a multiple choice test and driving around the block once.

In my opinion, this was just another Government dog and pony show. Now, law enforcement officers have one more extremely difficult law to enforce and they will be under pressure to write some tickets to prove success. I just hope that none of the texting four wheelers run into them while they are pulling these trucks over. :D

Reactions: 1 person

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
About QC Msg...

QUOTE..The prohibition doesn't apply to onboard devices that allow dispatchers to send text messages to truck drivers, but most of those devices have mechanisms that prevent their use while a truck is in motion, said Clayton Boyce, a spokesman for the American Trucking Association.

guido4475

Not a Member
About QC Msg...

QUOTE..The prohibition doesn't apply to onboard devices that allow dispatchers to send text messages to truck drivers, but most of those devices have mechanisms that prevent their use while a truck is in motion, said Clayton Boyce, a spokesman for the American Trucking Association.

Our Qualcomm has a separate control panel on our dash to where we can only hear the messages being told to us through our vehicle's stereo.The keyboard itself does not work at all while vehicle is in motion.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Our Qualcomm has a separate control panel on our dash to where we can only hear the messages being told to us through our vehicle's stereo.The keyboard itself does not work at all while vehicle is in motion.

I like that system. We (FECC) are due to get new units soon. Perhaps it will have this capability.

Last edited: