Never would've thought of doing this

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
There is a guy here in town that is an expediter of sorts I guess you could say. He has an old Toyota u-haul type truck with the 14 foot box on it. He is out of Monticello, AR. He has a deal with the saw mills and paper mills all around what people like to call the Arklamiss. Which is AR, LA, and MS. Plus he has some customers in east Texas and Oklahoma. Basiclly when they need a repair part they call the supplier and he runs and goes and gets it. Sometimes he is just picking up a bearing or some kind of part for one plant, and other times he may pick up at 2 or 3 suppliers close to one another and deliver at 1,2, or 3 plants. He says he stays very busy. He just told me he learned the hard way when he started about 8 years ago to have you some money saved up for the Christmas shut down and you will be steadily busy all the other times because stuff is constantly breaking and they keep nothing on hand.

He said surprisingly enough he stays busy in the winter. I guess because the temps down here go up and down so much it makes stuff outside brittle and it breaks down? He says he doesn't care why it goes down as long as they call him when it does.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Those runs are hotshots - I did a bit of it when I lived in New Orleans. Mostly parts needed for urgent repairs to the oil rigs, and small enough to be hauled even in a 4 wheeler.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Dat be watca call tinkin ouside da box. An be'in prepared when da "luck" shows up.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
UPS was started as a on-foot and bicycle messenger service by a 19 year-old (Jim Casey) in Seattle. His slogan; "best service and lowest rates."

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Broomie, da boogie man didn't getca, eh. Good to read from ya.