Needing Help

Wolf_Exp

Expert Expediter
Is there any kind of credit card companies that will be willing to help drivers with fuel and stuff-- you know suppling credit-- even tho they have bad credit? I (altho am still young at 21) when I was younger tore my credit up. Now my credit could have come in handy since I've been working my buns off (not complaining-- have a lot to loose :D). I tried applying for some of those "business cards" that are supposed to give help to small businesses-- but they still look at credit history. Any suggestions? I suspect the responses ill be getting is "you screwed up kid-- now tough it out". LOL :+

miko

Expert Expediter
Maybe you should look into the secured credit card from Capital One. You must pay down a few like $49, and then you get started. Usually credit limit is not very high, maybe $500 at first, but at least it gets you going for a week. Once you check comes in, pay the amount. After a year, you probably get tons of credit card offers in the mail.

Another way, open an account with US Bank. They will supply you with a money making debit card that pays you cash for the usage, and they also offer a credit card with a nice limit. Along with that apply for a overdraft protection on your account. Theu might be more willing to work with your credit history. Hope that helps some, good luck.

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
Be very careful when looking for a credit card outside the normal "bank". Some of the cards out there that offer a great intro percentage rate, will end up kill'n you in the long run. After the intro, they jack up the interest rate to an amount that would make Donald Trump mad, and, don't be late on a payment...

My wife works in a bank, and they always work with customers that may have overextended themselves in the past. If you can prove that you have the funds coming in to pay the bill, you might be surprised what you can get.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Talk to the bank where you have your checking/savings account. If that doesn't work look into a secured credit card. It will only give you a credit line equal to however much money you can put on deposit with them however it will show up in your credit report payment history. Be sure you pay it off every month. One of the biggest traps around is getting the bill for $683.47 with minimum payment of $40.00 and only paying the $40.00. The interest will KILL you. Do not put ANYTHING on the card that isn't a necessity, not even a package of chewing gum. It will take time to rebuild your credit but it can be done with mature credit decisions. From the sound of your post you already are there now and won't make the same mistakes again. Good luck.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm in the same boat as you. I went the U.S.Bank route and it has worked Well for me.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree with the above. A debit card is your best bet with poor credit. Eventually through use, it should slowly help your credit score
Davekc

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Everyone else covered this but get a debit Mastercard or Visa at your bank. I did it with two drivers and it worked and helped them. It will not do as much for your credit as a regular card but it will allow you to get by.

Have direct deposit to your account so you money is always there and there quickly. It works just like a credit card.

Raceman
OTR O/O

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Before getting a credit card you have to ask yourself. Why do I need it? If you need it because the loads you are hauling are not paying the bills a credit card is not going to help. It will just prolong the enveitable, your going broke. Only problem will be you'll also be 5 to 10K in debit to boot.

BTW we passed about a week ago in Ohio, I guess I was not quick enough with the CB to catch ya.