needing help finding broker

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Do yourself and the industry a big favor and sign up with a company to learn what you are doing first.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Advice - sure. Starting out with brokers first is a big mistake, unless you are a TT and know how to manage cash flow and verify brokers, their pay history etc, etc.

Start with a reputable carrier first and learn the ins and outs of this business. first.

BTW - Welcome to EO - we wish you success!

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am with a small company which is why I am looking for contact info for other brokers to help myself keep moving. Am listening if you have any advice

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you have your own authority, proper insurance a drug testing program etc. It isn't as simple as calling brokers. These folks have given some great advice

Expediters in a cargo van or almost any vehicle do not keep running at all times sitting for a couple days at a time is very common in this industry. Sitting for several days or more in a van is not unusual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Everything Apax

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes I understand there is sitting that cannot be avoided. I am only looking to see if I can go through more than one broker for the times I am sitting in hard to get out of areas such as out west for example. I do not have my own authority. I am a driver of a van for a guy that has just a few vans and we broker through a small company. I an trying to get all of the experience and advice I can.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are just the driver ,,, the owner of van should be looking for the brokers ,not you . IMO ... Buy you own van and sign on with a big company ,,,you ll be money ahead...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You really don't search brokers out, you find loads on a load board that are posted by the brokers. After you provide great service for the broker they may call you to see if you are in an area that they have a load.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im beginning to think you want to find more small carriers not brokers. There is a multi carrier thread on here. Pm drivers in there who said they run for more than one carrier.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Im beginning to think you want to find more small carriers not brokers. There is a multi carrier thread on here. Pm drivers in there who said they run for more than one carrier.

Yeah. That's the lingo. They think they are dealing "brokers," because they want to work with a bunch without the commitment of accounts receivables and all. Expedite is a small world. They don't want any confines like a lease contact, but then they get mad when their "broker" doesn't live up to their uncontracted expectations.

The less time you devote to a carrier, the less they will devote to you.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
A lot of this is going to also depend on what your agreement between you and your company says. Does the agreement say that you can broker yourself out or that only the company can dispatch you? It does sound like you are new to the business of expediting, so be prepared for a learning curve for about a year (if not more).

Brokers will call carriers that have given them good service for a good price in the past First. Then they start calling carriers that operate in certain areas. Then they wait for their phone to ring from carriers/drivers asking about loads. BTW, when you talk to a broker about a load and they tell you what the rate is, tell them that and then tell them what rate you will do it for.

Reactions: Bodmarley

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ALWAYS THOROGHLY READ YOUR CONTRACTS also have your attorney look over the contracts to cover your asz if you choose multi carrier mode as some contracts will have financial penalties placed in them if you work with others.

Bob Wolf.