Need tire advice!! 2007 Ford E350 Superduty

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Hi folks...I've got a 2007 Ford E350 Superduty cargo van. I submitted this thread to see if anyone has a particular brand favorite or if it doesn't matter. I usually get the Goodyear Tracker 2's at Wallyworld for 110 a piece, but I'm hoping maybe for the right price there is a better brand out there. I can generally get about 75,000 miles out of my tracker 2's before I have to replace them. I'm looking for a tire that doesn't have a lot of road noise...but I'm not really that picky. Thanks for your help...:cool:

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I'm on my second set on Michelin LTX M/S's first set lasted me 135K miles. Second was replaced at 145K miles. Each set was only rotated once, On the last set the fronts still had 8/32's on them. Only reason I replaced the fronts also is cause I just like to get all 4 tires new at once. Still kept the old ones, probable gonna use the good ones next summer on the rear. I'm sure if I had rotated them more often I would have gotten more miles out of them, which is what I'm going to try with this set.

I know Michellins are a little more expensive, but I like em. They are quiet, offer good handling in dry, wet, snow and mud conditions. I also use my sprinter for camping purposes, have taken it on hunting trips deep in the woods, thru mud holes and haven't gotten it stuck, yet.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I'm on my second set on Michelin LTX M/S's first set lasted me 135K miles. Second was replaced at 145K miles. Each set was only rotated once, On the last set the fronts still had 8/32's on them. Only reason I replaced the fronts also is cause I just like to get all 4 tires new at once. Still kept the old ones, probable gonna use the good ones next summer on the rear. I'm sure if I had rotated them more often I would have gotten more miles out of them, which is what I'm going to try with this set.

I know Michellins are a little more expensive, but I like em. They are quiet, offer good handling in dry, wet, snow and mud conditions. I also use my sprinter for camping purposes, have taken it on hunting trips deep in the woods, thru mud holes and haven't gotten it stuck, yet.
So where'd you get your Michellins and how much were they? They only warranty the Goodyears up to 50,000 miles so i need a tire that's gonna last a little longer.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I got this last last set at Discount Tire. Payed $799, then had a $70 rebate. That price includes their road hazard warranty which last the life of the tire, as long as there is tread they will honor the warranty. So if you get one puncture in the sidewall and up to 1 inch into the tread from the sidewall they will replace the tire for free. If the puncture is in the middle of the tread, you need three punctures before they replace the tire for free. My brother hasn't bought tires in four years because of this warranty. Plus Discount/American tire has over 750 locations throughout the US.

guido4475

Not a Member
I love my Firestone Transforce tires.Excellent handling in the rain and dry conditions. Havent been in snow yet, and thinking about getting something more agressive for the snow in the rear.$800.00 for all 5 mounted, balanced, etc at Belle Tire.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm hooked on the Bridgestone Dueler, goes like stink in the snow and I've gotten 145,000 miles out of each set, paid about 800.00 for 4 with all the extras from NTB, I rotate at each oil change.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have Bridgestones as original equipment. I plan to switch to the Michelins when it's time for replacements.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
I'm pretty happy with the BF Goodrich Commercial TA's I am currently running. Only have about 40K on them but seem to be wearing well and are good in the snow.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
you might want to shop prices and talk to tire rack in so. bend. last month i could have bought 4 tires for 890 bucks. i waited. bad move. 950 bucks today:(. my aaa card gave me a bigger discount than the 25 bucks gy offered on a set:eek:

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Firestone Transforce HT's

Why?

Cost per the return.

Michliens are great tires, but the cost has to weighed against the performance.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
GoodYear Wrangler. [American owned Company]
125,000 to 135,000 miles.
Have been using them since 97 on two different E350 Ford Vans.
Average cost $600.00 for a set of four.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Firestone Transforce HT's

Why?

Cost per the return.

Michliens are great tires, but the cost has to weighed against the performance.
Rolling Resistance
Michelin AT/2- .0855
Firestone Transforce HT- .659

That's a rolling resistance difference of 13%, which translates to about a 2% fuel savings with Michelin, or about .4 MPH at 20 MPG.

At $3 a gallon and 20 MPG, that's 15 cents a mile, but at .4 MPG and it becomes 14.7 cents a mile. That extra 3 cents a mile you save over the course of 80,000 miles comes to $2,400, which will more than likely offset the additional cost of the Michelins.

Yup. Cost per the return. ;)

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Rolling Resistance
Michelin AT/2- .0855
Firestone Transforce HT- .659

That's a rolling resistance difference of 13%, which translates to about a 2% fuel savings with Michelin, or about .4 MPH at 20 MPG.

At $3 a gallon and 20 MPG, that's 15 cents a mile, but at .4 MPG and it becomes 14.7 cents a mile. That extra 3 cents a mile you save over the course of 80,000 miles comes to $2,400, which will more than likely offset the additional cost of the Michelins.

Yup. Cost per the return. ;)

You meant $00.003 per mile for $240.00 for 80,000 miles.:eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You getting all technical on us with one of those price vs cost things? :D

Do you know the numbers for the Michelin LTX M/S? Will the Michelin AT/2 give the 130k life people are getting with the LTX?

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Do you know the numbers for the Michelin LTX M/S? Will the Michelin AT/2 give the 130k life people are getting with the LTX?

leo, ask that question here.....
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

hmmm, not coming up as a link. sorry.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do you know the numbers for the Michelin LTX M/S?
I don't for sure know the numbers for the LTX M/S, but all of Michelin's LTX tires are built on the same rolling resistance foundation (the X Radial), with the only difference being tread depth and design. The LTX® A/T2 and the LTX® A/S have the same rolling resistance, so I assume the M/S has the same number.

The Michelin LTX® tires are:
LTX® A/S
LTX® M/S
LTX® M/S2
LTX® A/T2

The LTX® M/S2 is a new one, which is the same as the M/S (Mud-n-Snow), except that it has a slightly different tread design (very similar to the X Radial AT2, except it's designed with a softer rubber compound for cold weather, which is why the lower treadwear rating), has a 70,000 mile warranty in addition to the standard 6-year warranty (covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first), so it's 70,000 miles or 6 years whichever occurs first. I wouldn't recommend the M/S2's for expediting.

Will the Michelin AT/2 give the 130k life people are getting with the LTX?
Obviously, it can get confusing. The LTX® is the type, and the A/T2 is the model within that type, sort of.

The A/S and M/S tires have a rating of 80,000 miles, and the average lifespan on those are in the 110,000-120,000 range (some will get less, some will get more, some will report significantly more). The LTX® A/T2 has a treadwear rating of 90,000, so 120,000-130,000 should be very doable if they are kept properly inflated (like with Nitrogen).

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I'm at 123K on my current set of LTX M/S ..... there would be very significant tread life left at this point .... if it were not for a an irregular treadwear pattern that developed perhaps as a consequence of several things: 1. waiting too long to replace ball joints and struts/shocks (think I did both at 175K IIRC), 2. improper inflation, and 3. failing to be as religious as I could have been about checking inflation pressure and tire rotation.

In an effort to increase fuel economy, I ran the fronts at 80 psi (factory recommends 55 psi) - which I have heard (from multiple sources) will cause irregular wear - so I'm now back to 55 psi.

The irregular wear showed up as increased wear on the inner and outer treads (as opposed to the center two treads) - somewhat counter-intuitive, as I had been running the fronts 25 psi higher than was recommended (which should have caused more wear in the center treads - not the inner/outer)

Even so, these tires should still go at least another 10K to 15K+ (135K to 140K life) before needing to be replaced. The deepest treads are currently at 7 or 8/32nds.

Had I been better on inflation and rotation (usually about 18K) I could see them easily going 150K to 170K ..... I will probably replace them LTX A/T²'s ......

guido4475

Not a Member
I've been running my Firestone Transforce's at 80 psi all the way around,Per what is on the tire, and have excellent tread wear, rotating at 20,000 mi.I check the tire pressure once a week when cold.In the beginning I ran the tires per what was on the door jamb sticker, and didnt like it,it was too squirmy.My freind at Ford said that was the whole reason for the tire recall, incorrect pressure on the door sticker.He said people that ran tires to what the tire said did not have any problems.