NEED SERIOUS ADVICE

firedoc

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I need some stright forward advice. Im a firefighter in Memphis,TN looking for some serious side work. As a firefighter I have a lot of time off, twenty days a month to be exact. Most of these are four day streches. I do have class B experience, and have priced some used trucks. Can someone in my situation be seccessful at this? Were talking about three four day trips a month. Need some openions before I go any further. Thanks, and as always be safe!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
To be perfectly honest with you I don!t think it would be profitable for you.If you only have 4 days off at a time,it would probably take at least 1-2 days for you to get a trip,then you would have to turn around and dedhead back,Also for many trips out of the Memphis area ,teams are required as most trips from Memphis head up North to Michigan,Illinois etc,so working as a solo driver you would not be elgible to run those trips legally..

G

Firedoc,

RichM is giving you the straight info regarding over the road expediting in your situation - you just don't have the time to take loads out of Memphis which would guarantee your deadheading back home and hurt your profitability. An option for you would be to check out the local air freight business on a part time basis. I think Rich would agree that you should drive for an owner or a company before you make the investment in a truck of your own. Also, the courier business could be another option. You would have an advantage over many people who are new to this business, you know the city! When I was expediting, fire stations were one of the places I'd try to hit when lost and needed directions. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

firedoc

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks Rich M and Jeff. Your advice will be well taken. After posting my message I started looking around the other post, and read alot about what you guys are up against. I will be looking into your suggestions. If I hit gold (or anything that shines) Ill let you guys know. I have a lot of respect for you guys (and gals) on the road. I know all to well what its like to be away on hollidays and miss special times with the family because of the job. Keep up the good work, and as always stay safe.