Need info on whether to keep authority

SuperTrkr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have my own authority, but when i switched from hauling Mobile Homes to expediting and cancelled my insurance on the toters, they are now wanting to do away with my authority because of no proof of insurance. I do get my insurance through the company i am currently leased to, the big R, but i think i would have to get my own cargo. Is it worth the expense? Wouldn't i be better off just trip leasing when i need to? I am also worried about getting paid from some of the brokers out there. Know a lot of them screw drivers over payment. Would appreciate any feed back that you all could give me, before its too late and my authority goes bye bye!!!

G

Keep your authority. Most companies do not want you to trip lease. Why give them 15-30% when you can keep all the pay? Keep your lease and authority use them to your advantage.

G

supertrucker....I let my authority go quite some time ago and I,m still kicking myself in the ##### for doing so.I mean if you have plans to just run for the big R,then I would,otherwise I would just absorb the cost and hang on to it.You never know when an opportunity arises,Or If someday you decide,piss on all this,I,m gonna do my own thing.You are all set up to start making calls to potential customers,instead of the FHWA,(trust me,I,m waiting for the appication in the mail as I,m typing this).I know it is certainly an extra expense,but well worth it if you can find something on the side to fill the gaps.Hell.if you can find one load a month with your own auth. that should cover the xtra expense.good luck,hope this helps.