Need info on the hot shot industry

Roger Oesch

New Recruit
ive been driving 21 years come July, and would like to try my hand at the hot shot industry. What I'd like to know is, is there money in teaming hot shot or not. Also I live around Cleveland, Ohio, is there a good broker in the area or someone I can talk to about the pay in the industry? Any help would be appreciated

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The hot shot segment is tough because you are still under the same regulations as a semi but you have more competition. You will NOT want to be dealing with a broker when you get started but instead sign on with an established company.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I do some hotshots yesterdays run paid paid $12.17 per loaded mile or $900 all in how ever you want to look at it. run went 75 miles.
when I use brokers I usually get offers from $1.75-$2.50 per mile on the long hauls. the good news is I can usually do at least 2 loads at a time at those rates. don't get into hot shots thinking your gonna be rich from the money you save. for 1 truck and trailer it still cost around 10k per year for real insurance. the repairs are in line with what it cost to maintain a tractor trailer the only time I may get better fuel mileage than a tractor is when I am driving from the yard to home after I drop trailer. you are a moving target for the dot cause so many do it illegal. and you still need a class A cdl in most cases in IL I do save a little money on irp fees that runs $765 per year for a 40k plate for all states and Canada. 3 yrs ago I seen a lot more freight out there for hotshots than I do today at least from who I move freight with.just like expedite its easy to get in over your head once the truck warranty is up. my only advise is get a truck with a sleeper and a trailer with a gvw of at least 26k and a 102" wide deck. the lower the deck height the better use Dexter axles be prepared to spend around 2 k to equip trailer tarps,straps,tie downs etc.and get a trailer without the fixed dove tail.with that said I have a brand new one in the yard 36' with a hydraulic dovetail, air ride sliding winches and a 16k winch and hydraulic dog legs. I would sell for 25k if interested.or will lease out for with loads for 25% if you run under my authority. see my add for partners wanted in business opportunities.