NEED INFO ON LIFTGATE

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I AM LOOKING FOR LIFTGATE FOR ON MY TRUCK. I HAVE SWING DOORS. WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE COULD TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF LIFTGATE I CAN INSTALL. THAT WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH LOADING AT A DOCK. ALSO WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD CAPACITY TO GO WITH? WHAT AM I LOOKING AT AS FAR AS COST? AND ANY RECCOMMENDATIONS ON SHOP TO PURCHASE FROM/INSTALL. I APPRECIATE ANY INFO ANYONE CAN GIVE ME. THANKS

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'll pass on what little information I can about lift gates. I currently have a Maxom rail gate with 4,000 lbs. capacity. The rail gate requires swing doors as the rails are welded to the sides of the box. The unit I have is quickly removeable (with fork lift or crane) and stored until needed again. The rail lifts interfere with the hooks at loading docks, making it impossible to hook to the ICC bumper. I do not believe that any of the Big 3 docks will a truck with this gate to be loaded/unloaded at the dock.

I suspect that another driver can comment about that.

The other type of gate available is a tuck-under or fold-under, which is what you see on most of the trailers/trucks. However these lifts are generally smaller platform and less capacity. The tuck-unders can require that the ICC bumber be removed to accomodate the lift. I have seen trucks where the ICC was modified to be removeable and then reattached using pins.

My lift was installed by Mobile Refrigeration (Detroit) 313-272-2600.
This is a large lift, for my specialized equipment and was purchased and installed for about $11,000. I would suspect most lifts would be in the $4,000 to $6,000 range.

I am planning to have my truck & lift at Woodhaven in August for the Expo.

Drive Safe

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You will definitely need a gate that does not interfere with the ICC bar if you unload at the auto plants. Ford is very much cracking down on this now, refusing to unload any trucks without a functioning ICC bar. Unfortunately, as Larry stated, most of the lifts out there render the ICC bar useless. They either block it, or the lift mechanism sticks out too far in the back for the hook to catch the bar. You might have to shop around for a while to find something that will be the best of both worlds, if it exists.
I have always questioned for the cost of approx. $4-6K for a lift, how much additional work would one get from that investment to make it worth the cost? It just seems it would take a long time for the thing to pay for itself, the same deal goes with reefer units. Don't forget to figure in the added cost of maintenance and repairs that go with these items too.
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a Maxon 2500 pound capacvity lift gate. It is the tuck away type that you see everywhere.The problem I have is that this model which must be the basic one only has 39 inches of space on the gate from the rear of the truck and at times it can get hairy. Maxon makes a larger model that has a extender built in to it and the gate will extend out 50 inches with safety rails built in on the end. Definitely the way to go. Weave is right that you cannot hook up to a dack as the gate hangs down and there is no ICC bar.I have never been turned away from a delivery because of it,but if I get a auto run I check with the dispatcher to see if I am allowed to off load .I never get excited about dealing with the nice UAW folks at Ford,GM etc anyway. As far as cost goes I have no idea as the truck was outfitted with the gate when I bought it,it has made me money but it is definetely earned money. FDX CC White Glove requires all C and D units to have lift gates, even though some guys seem to get away without having one.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Oops. I noticed an error in my posting. A rail gate requires roll-up doors, not swing.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wouldn’t it be cheaper and less headache to change the door to a roll up and buy the cheaper lift? Just a thought!!!

joker

Expert Expediter
As far as i'm concerned, i would rather not even have a lift gate. I don't get that many more loads because of having it. Plus, it adds more weight right on the back and gets you into lots more work when you have to use it. It was on the truck when i got it, otherwise I sure wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of adding one. Just my opinion.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Joker

Why not sell it to someone that needs it or can make use of it. If you place a for sale in the classified here on this site, someone may buy it from you.

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for everyones help. I ordered a maxxon 3000 lb tuck away w/oversize deck. W/dock bumper structure kit. $3100.00 I very seldom haul auto parts. So I hope not to have any problems there. I never saw the need in the past to have a liftgate. But the carrier I work for now does alot of medical equipment and electronics equipment and miltary stuff that requires a liftgate. I think it will pay for itself in no time at all. Otherwise I would not bother. As far as the added weight goes. Not a concern. I have a 52,000 gvw tandem axle truck. I don't have enough box to even put me close to gross. Once again thanks for everyones help. Be safe out there on the road.:D