Need Help.

Flet12345

New Recruit
Here's the story. I was an otr driver with a few trucking companies over the years but getting abit older i wanted something different. Started research.Got general information and knew this would not be easy but was willing try. Here is where it get crazy. I got my own authority and insurance. I was mislead by some so called advisors on companies to lease on with. I bought a 2019 Ford Transit 250. Thats when the people that were helping me dropped out. I am finding out most brokers dont want someone with a new authority. Long story short ( i know im not the first to do this mess). I still want to do this.So Im looking for someone that can lead me to a company that would be interested in giving me a chance. When I research some places like Bolt and APlus. The reviews are not so good but i'm at a point where I'm willing to try anything. Please, any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is another option ....
Sell the van while you can. With low mileage it'll still have value.
Van market is completely over saturated.
Good luck ...

Reactions: Moot

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
A person with their own authority AND experience can do better than many of us working as owner operators. BUT, the key word is experience. It will take 6 to 12 months to develop experience, knowledge and contacts. The current (and future?) market does not work in favor of a start-up.

I'm going to agree with Fastman1, Bolt makes an excellent place to learn the ropes, and for many, a permanent home. I also agree with Grizzly, getting out if you still can may be a smart move.

There are currently 12 states that will issue drivers licenses to undocumented (illegal) immigrants. CA, NV, UT, CO, NM, WA ,IL ,VT ,MA, MD,DE. NJ and NY. I mention this as something to consider because many have blamed the reduction in rates on an influx of Eastern Europeans. In reality the many immigrants getting into trucking are not, IMHO, not the problem - it's the greedy carriers that exploit them. Now those same carriers have a much larger pool of drivers to choose from legally.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A person with their own authority AND experience can do better than many of us working as owner operators. BUT, the key word is experience. It will take 6 to 12 months to develop experience, knowledge and contacts. The current (and future?) market does not work in favor of a start-up.

I'm going to agree with Fastman1, Bolt makes an excellent place to learn the ropes, and for many, a permanent home. I also agree with Grizzly, getting out if you still can may be a smart move.

There are currently 12 states that will issue drivers licenses to undocumented (illegal) immigrants. CA, NV, UT, CO, NM, WA ,IL ,VT ,MA, MD,DE. NJ and NY. I mention this as something to consider because many have blamed the reduction in rates on an influx of Eastern Europeans. In reality the many immigrants getting into trucking are not, IMHO, not the problem - it's the greedy carriers that exploit them. Now those same carriers have a much larger pool of drivers to choose from legally.

Brand new authority, in a cargo van ... I think the timeframe is even longer.
It's really difficult to find the right contacts, freight, etc.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I retired going on 8 years ago so things have changed. Back in the day some of the more reputable choices for learning the business, in no particular order, were Bolt, Panther, PTL, Tri-State, Landstar and Fedex. You'll likely need many months of that sort of experience to get taken on and make a go of it with your own authority. Good luck.

Reactions: Flet12345

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Brand new authority, in a cargo van ... I think the timeframe is even longer.
It's really difficult to find the right contacts, freight, etc.
I was being generous and supportive

I agree, that's why I thought about but never acted on getting my own authority. I'm quite happy letting Murray & Sally do the legwork & paperwork.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Flet12345

New Recruit
Good luck ...

Good luck ...

Flet12345

New Recruit
I retired going on 8 years ago so things have changed. Back in the day some of the more reputable choices for learning the business, in no particular order, were Bolt, Panther, PTL, Tri-State, Landstar and Fedex. You'll likely need many months of that sort of experience to get taken on and make a go of it with your own authority. Good luck.
Thanks, I'm checking some of these companies out now.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
something to check out is frayt.com apply on your phone

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
not yet only what I have been told. give me a pm with your phone number we can talk

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
not yet only what I have been told. give me a pm with your phone number we can talk

My question was asked because the OP appears to be at a crossroad. He came on here seeking help. Tossing out ideas that we have no personal experience with might seem helpful or from another perspective might not.

I signed up on frayt when it started. I have not booked a single load on that platform. He cannot make a living using it. Nuff said ....

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
way it was explain to be was you have to go out and find load for yourself. I'm signed up but looking for drivers in Va before I start looking customers

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
way it was explain to be was you have to go out and find load for yourself. I'm signed up but looking for drivers in Va before I start looking customers

You have to go out and find loads for yourself? You're responsible for making the sale?
Then what do you need frayt for?