Need Help with 04 Fe keeps blowing AC Fuse

Chris R.

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
The 20A fuse in the cab pops only after the driver starts his route. I ran the truck in the yard with the Ac at max and it had no problems blowing cold air for 30 minutes....So I pulled forward and backward 30 yards and still no problems... when the driver leaves the AC fuse blows within he said just a few minutes.. 5 at the most. I removed the condesor fan checked it thoroughly turns easily by hand.. oiled the bushings anyway. The compressor clutch? Is it a standard electro-magnet style.. how can I check it without a DC Amp meter? Unplug it and run the Ac? is that a valid way to test it? Could it be Ac relay which i belive is under the dash just to the left of the fuse box about at center cab.. Is there a way to test it.. Dont mind just replacing it either way due to its only $80 part as compared to $800 for the compressor and clutch new. The vin number for some reason says this particular truck no Ac..Though all the controls on the dash look very stock.. I did find a wire spliced to the back of the fuse box right to the 20A fuse wire that keeps blowing... single brown wire definetely added by someone before we purchased the truck..I traced the wire and stopped when it turned to go up the side of the passenger wind shield behind the plastic trim up to the overhead storage compartments and radio compartment i did find an old tracking device that must have been in use at some point but didnt have the brown wire going to it as far as i could see...Anyway i disconected the splice connector inspected for damage or burned areas, there were not any,and taped up any exposed wire.. Replaced the blown fuse thinking i found the problem. But the same thing happens blows cold sitting in the yard but as soon as the driver leaves it blows... Today his first stop is a customer on our same street he returned 5-10 min after leaving and it was blown already.. he told me he had already replaced it once in the customers parking lot and he said this time he was stopped engine running and as soon as he plugged the new fuse in it popped. I duplicated what he did, with another new fuse, in our yard several times, engine running Ac on from the beginning but blowing hot air as the fuse wasnt in and then instantly blowing cold as i push in the new fuse. pulled it out pushed it back in Ac is off then back on, no problems. Left the truck running at idle for 10 min with no problems Ac working fine. We are planning on selling it in the next 2 years due to the 2020 laws changing and dont really want to dump too much money into it but... my driver needs to be comfortable at the same time. Anyone with any ideas or similar experience? 2004 Hino FE2620.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You mean you don’t want to invest 15K for the California filter. Lol. I would move. Lol. Greasy the Hino mechanic is in Detroit this week in Hino school (lol). I sure he will answer give him a little time.